Pretty much a new guy to the inground pool world. Renovation starts this week.

Hi Mical,
Target Stabilizer about 25 for now. You dont want to over do it with your new plaster.
the Stabilizer is gonna help tremendously with your FC burn. But keep testing FC and add as needed to keep algae away.

CYA takes a while to dissolve. Giving it a squeeze every now and then will help it along.
No need to try and test for it until 5 days from now. It is extremely slow in registering and show up on the test.

I usually tie my sock, or pillowcase if I need a lot of stabilier, to my pool pole and hang it in front of the return

Man your pool looks great!

You will see how this works when you start running your own tests. We have a recommended range for your pool derived from your test results, and as long as you stay within that range everything should be fine. For example, lets say your range for FC is 4-8ppm. Day 1 you test at 4ppm so you use PoolMath and add enough bleach to hit the top of your range, 8ppm. Next day you test 6ppm Still within range so you choose not to add any bleach. Day 3 you are back at 4ppm so you bump up to 8ppm again. Depending on your pool you may not have to add bleach every day, but you do need to test FC and pH every day until you really know your pool's habits.

Ok from reading this post i think i have been doing it wrong. I have just been using pool math to take me to 2ppm with the lc and i just keep checking it and going back to adding enough to get to 2ppm. So let me see if I understand better now since i just added cya, i looked at the cya chart and say for 30, it says minimum 2 and target of 4. So when i check my chlorine and say it has 1ppm tomorrow morning, do i use pool math to take my level up to the 4ppm? And then everytime its at a minimum of 2ppm i keep adding to go back to 4ppm?

Yes, you are pretty close.

Don't let FC drop below minimum ever or algae can start to grow. Keeping FC at target or slightly over is good for most of the time. If you are swimming a lot or there are lots of people swimming it is a good idea to target a little higher than target, like halfway between target and shock. It is safe to swim in your pool when FC is below shock level.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gonna test my cya today since it has been a week now since adding it. Does this cya pretty much stay around or do you have to keep adding it? Like I understand that using other chlorine raises it which you dont want, but does it get low after you have had to add it like i did?

Todays results... Look to me im right where i need to be according to my pb's first 14 day list
5-30-15

Ph 7.2
Fc 3
Cc 0
Calcium h 175
Ta 60
Cya 20

- - - Updated - - -

Should i put a little more cya in to get to 30?

CYA sticks around. The only way to get rid of it is drain water out. Now we have had some pools that went green that turned the CYA into ammonia but that is very different than you.

Yes get your CYA up to 30.

Yes you can use that wonderful bleach from Walmart! Just make sure it is NOT splashless or perfumed. Just plain bleach.

Do you have a pool store that has liquid chlorine? There % is 11%. The only thing is you have to use their jugs that they will "rent" to you for a one time fee.

I get my chlorine from ACE Hardward. I use their jugs. I get my my chlorine for $1.91 a gallon!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.