Pretty black pool

Probably stupid question - since we seem to have a good handle on this, and the chems seem fine, we are basically waiting ( not so patiently) for the filter to clear the water. Would it be silly to put the solar cover on it now and hope the timing of sparkling water coincides with the water temp climbing over 70 degrees? Seems like now, even if we get the water clear and pass the OCLT, we're going to be waiting again for the sun to heat things up a bit.

Is there some obvious reason I'm missing that we don't want the cover on, except for the obvious not being able to see the water?

lconnors said:
Is there some obvious reason I'm missing that we don't want the cover on, except for the obvious not being able to see the water?
If the cover has any algae spores on it from before, you might suffer a little setback.

Also, with no sunlight, CC might build up under the cover and freak you out when you test it next.

The solar cover is brand new, still in the box, so we won't be introducing any algae to the water. I will keep in mind the cc test values if we decide to put the cover on. I think I have become so accustomed to studying the water, I'm a little terrified to not see it for a few days!

I'm not obsessive at all :wave:

I have an "after" pic! Including the reason for all the hard work, my daughter, who rents this house from us, and my grandson, who just had a great time being introduced to the pool.

I wish I would have kept track, but I believe we used around 40 gallons of 12.5% bleach. That, a little pH increaser we found in the basement and some stabilizer are the ONLY things added to the water. It took us just over a month. That time frame was probably longer than it needed to be, because we had to replace electrical, pump, filter, and we had 2 weekends where it did nothing but rain. I really want this to be a huge statement to others in the same situation that it can be done!

The sun was going down, so you'll have to take my word for it when I say, "It sparkles!" :party:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 757

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've always wondered this.

In situations like these, why not just drain the pool and start over?

Instead of using 100 gallons of bleach.

Sometimes fill water is not readily available.
Sometimes there is nowhere for the pool to drain easily or responsibly.
Sometimes the pool is configured to where draining to 1 ft in the shallow end doesn't get you very far, and you would need to do it many times.

A liner that is a few years old may shrink and tear when refilled or get water behind the liner.

A fiberglass or plaster pool may float out of the ground if you have high ground water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.