Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I need some feedback from some of our ITI's like @AQUA~HOLICS, @1poolman1, or @Poolbreh. I have suspected a suction line leak for a while due to a large drop in pump pot water and loss of prime on several occasions the past couple months. I did a temp above ground suction line from pump into the water and the pump is holding water much better with no loss of prime. To me it seemed like validation I have a cracked line, and I suspected under the skimmer.

So I fabricated a replica of a testing manifold, much like some of the leak detection companies use (see below). I have a very simple suction line that goes about 25 ft from skimmer to pump. I used a Safe-T bladder plug in the PVC before anything at the pad to eliminate any valves, fittings, etc. So manifold to bladder plug that's it.

I increased the water pressure to 12 and timed it. Over the course of 20 minutes it dropped from 12 to 7. So I lost about 1 psi every 5 minutes. Does that seem like reason enough to investigate? I have a concrete saw and jackhammer reserved. Decking all marked and ready for surgery. Mentally I'm all ready to go in, but I expected to see my gauge fall more & faster. Now I'm wondering if it warrants the work - for now. Thoughts?

full

full

Pressurize the line with air and then listen above the suspected leak location and you should be able to hear air bubbles escaping if you have a leak.

Alternate between air and water pressure.

Pressurize the line with air and then listen above the suspected leak location and you should be able to hear air bubbles
I would if I could, but I don't have a deck plate or sound rod. Those things are crazy expensive.

I need some feedback from some of our ITI's like @AQUA~HOLICS, @1poolman1, or @Poolbreh. I have suspected a suction line leak for a while due to a large drop in pump pot water and loss of prime on several occasions the past couple months. I did a temp above ground suction line from pump into the water and the pump is holding water much better with no loss of prime. To me it seemed like validation I have a cracked line, and I suspected under the skimmer.

So I fabricated a replica of a testing manifold, much like some of the leak detection companies use (see below). I have a very simple suction line that goes about 25 ft from skimmer to pump. I used a Safe-T bladder plug in the PVC before anything at the pad to eliminate any valves, fittings, etc. So manifold to bladder plug that's it.

I increased the water pressure to 12 and timed it. Over the course of 20 minutes it dropped from 12 to 7. So I lost about 1 psi every 5 minutes. Does that seem like reason enough to investigate? I have a concrete saw and jackhammer reserved. Decking all marked and ready for surgery. Mentally I'm all ready to go in, but I expected to see my gauge fall more & faster. Now I'm wondering if it warrants the work - for now. Thoughts?

full

full
With a completely tight system there would be no pressure loss.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.