Pressure side leak?

Dilbydog

Silver Supporter
Jan 14, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I believe I have a pressure side leak, and I’m hoping it’s in my pump. Yesterday morning, I happened to be outside when my pump started and I witnessed air coming out of the pop-ups. Went and checked the plumbing, didn’t see any leaks, powered off the pump. Once the pump was off, I heard the sound of my filter draining. Again, didn’t see any leaks. Rotated my intake valve from pool to spa, and the draining of the filter / pump stopped. Rotated back, and the draining continued. A closer look around the pump found a small leak coming from the pump/motor transition.

Now I replaced the impeller and associated seals this spring, however the kit I ordered did not come with a new seal plate o-ring. The existing o-ring looked like it had rolled and wasn’t in the best shape but I didn’t have a replacement. So I coated it heavily in silicon and re-used it. Any chance the above issue is due to a failed seal plate o-ring?

Well, that would be the first place to start. Usually, bubbles in the returns suggest a suction side leak However, I and others have had this when there's an issue with the MPV seals so that may be worth a look if the plate seal doesn't work.

dd,

Based upon your troubleshooting... " Rotated my intake valve from pool to spa, and the draining of the filter / pump stopped."... I would say your intake valve has an air leak. I would rebuild it.

Obviously, you need to finish rebuilding your pump first, but if the whole problem was the pump itself, then rotating your Intake valve should have had no effect.

Thanks,

Jim R.

MPV = Multi Port Valve. The big valve controlling the modes of the filter.

dd,

The automated part (Actuator) just sits on top of a standard Jandy valve... Just take the actuator off by removing the screws and then rebuild the Jandy valve..

The screws that hold the actuator on top of the Jandy are longer, so watch where you take them out and make sure you put them back in the same holes.

Jim R.

dd,

The automated part (Actuator) just sits on top of a standard Jandy valve... Just take the actuator off by removing the screws and then rebuild the Jandy valve..

The screws that hold the actuator on top of the Jandy are longer, so watch where you take them out and make sure you put them back in the same holes.

Jim R.

Thanks Jim...much appreciated everyone. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.