pilotx1982

Jun 5, 2023
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, is this leak acceptable or is it something that needs to be taken care of this season (season ends in early Sep).

Any suggestions on fixing it without replacing the plumbing?

Thanks

Can’t tell what this is for. Can you please be more specific with details about your pool equipment and take a better wider shot.

No leak is ever acceptable. It should be fixed but you first need to diagnose why it’s leaking. Sometimes it’s just an improperly tightened fitting or an o-ring that’s not seated properly. Other times it’s something else in the system causing the leak.

Can’t tell what this is for. Can you please be more specific with details about your pool equipment and take a better wider shot.

No leak is ever acceptable. It should be fixed but you first need to diagnose why it’s leaking. Sometimes it’s just an improperly tightened fitting or an o-ring that’s not seated properly. Other times it’s something else in the system causing the leak.

Hi, here is a wider shot. I noticed that the leak is as in the video when I first start the system up, after a while, the leak is less (more like a drop or two every few seconds)

IMG_1902.jpeg

Why does the title say HVAC repair? That line runs from your pump into your filter’s multiport valve. I was confused and thought you were talking about a heat pump or some other device.

You can easily undo that union nut with a strap wrench and then inspect it. The sealing surfaces should be clean and free of debris and the o-ring in there should be intact without any damage. If you need to, replace the o-ring. You can apply silicone lubricant to the o-ring to make sure it makes a tight seal. Then reseal it and check for leaks.

Reactions: pilotx1982
Why does the title say HVAC repair? That line runs from your pump into your filter’s multiport valve. I was confused and thought you were talking about a heat pump or some other device.

You can easily undo that union nut with a strap wrench and then inspect it. The sealing surfaces should be clean and free of debris and the o-ring in there should be intact without any damage. If you need to, replace the o-ring. You can apply silicone lubricant to the o-ring to make sure it makes a tight seal. Then reseal it and check for leaks.

Hi, I edited to put PVC. Anyways, while attempting to unscrew the union, I noticed that is has a big crack and that’s most likely the culprit.

There was no o-ring inside. Looks like this will be a bigger job than expected. I put some tape on the thread and screwed it back on as I leave on another business trip tomorrow.

I guess this will involve cutting to get the union off…. Not good…

Attachments

• IMG_1963.jpeg
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
First, replace the o-ring and use plenty of teflon/silicone lube. If it still leaks, you can cut off the cracked union nut and replace it with a 2 piece nut (they are made specially for this situation).

I ordered a 2 inch piece but but it does not seem to fit (the smaller opening is not wide enough to fit over the existing pipe. I believe the existing one is 2 inch but this one I can’t put on for some reason. I can try to order different brands from Amazon

Attachments

• IMG_2015.png
    IMG_2015.png
    514 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    682.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
As sktn77a noted you will need a 2-piece Union Nut. The issue will be the threads for these are not all the same. I would bring the broken piece to a plumbing supply shop to try and match them up. In the meantime, you can try wrapping the threads with plumbers' tape.