Leak from pump pressure side.

Anthony.C

May 17, 2024
England
HI, I know little about pool plumbing but have a leak at the pressure side of my pump and what I want to know is if the pipes can be opened with this connector in the pic. There is a union at the filter end which I can open so if the pump end opens it could be an easy fix but I don't want to force it if it's not something you can open. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    362.8 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You should be able to unscrew the gray union halves which would then allow you to unscrew the lower portion that is coming out of the pump itself. If that's where your leak is, then you can put some new Teflon tape or thread sealant, re-screw the lower portion back into the pump, then reattach the gray union halves back together. Hope that makes sense. If you need more help let us know.

Hi Texas Splash and thanks for the welcome .
That's good news, so would I need to unscrew the pipe at the union near the filter also and when opening the lower portion of the gray union, would I be right in saying that I would turn it clockwise when looking down on it?

so would I need to unscrew the pipe at the union near the filter also and when opening the lower portion of the gray union, would I be right in saying that I would turn it clockwise when looking down on it?
In the pic you provided, the pipe is coming out of the top of the pump (outlet port). So you have to unscrew that gray union first. Once separated, that allows you to unscrews (counter-clockwise) the part of the pipe coming out of the top of the pump. Then you can do your repairs and reassemble in reverse. I don't see any union near a filter, but if the leak is at the outlet of the pump, that is what you would need to do. Hope that makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the tips.
I've ordered an oil filter wrench from Amazon
That plasto-joint-stik does look easier to use but doesn't seem to be available over here (UK) so I will try the tape for now as I already have some.
Five or six tight wraps, then a small amount of silicone sealant over that (just make it shiny). Don't thread the fitting in all the way, about 3-5 threads should show when it is tight. Despite all the dispute over using Teflon tape on plastic, it has worked for me for 30+ years and I don't have to go back to customers to repair my work.

OK so I have a problem...the gray "unions" turned together so so I undid the white union at the filter, unscrewed the pipe from the pump and lifted the whole pipe out. Putting it back together, the only way to tighten it is by turning the whole pipe which there isn't room for. What am I supposed to do now? The pic is before I started.

Attachments

• IMG_1393.JPEG
    IMG_1393.JPEG
    423 KB · Views: 2
OK so I have a problem...the gray "unions" turned together so so I undid the white union at the filter, unscrewed the pipe from the pump and lifted the whole pipe out. Putting it back together, the only way to tighten it is by turning the whole pipe which there isn't room for. What am I supposed to do now? The pic is before I started.
Use a second wrench/pliers to hold the portion of the fitting that is in the pump while un-threading the union nut.