Pressure Side Cleaner

Smiles79

May 22, 2019
Missouri
I've got a 25' above ground round pool that I would like to get an automatic cleaner for. I've read that a lot of these need a booster pump. I have a Pentair Dynamo 340210, 1.5 hp pump and I was curious of that was a powerful enough pump to not need a booster pump.

I like the idea of a pressure-side over robotic because I'd like to leave it on the pool when I'm not in it, especially over a weekend I'm not around.

Thoughts?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
A Polaris PB-4 booster pump is only 1 HP. But a booster pump puts all it's water flow into one return directly to the cleaner.

Usually an inground pool pump output is split into a few returns so no one return her that much water power. How many returns does your pump feed?

A Polaris 360 does not require a booster pump...

If your 1.5 HP pump only goes to one return then it would be fine to power a cleaner. But then how would you turn off the cleaner and circulate the water?

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
I've got a 25' above ground round pool that I would like to get an automatic cleaner for. I've read that a lot of these need a booster pump. I have a Pentair Dynamo 340210, 1.5 hp pump and I was curious of that was a powerful enough pump to not need a booster pump.

I like the idea of a pressure-side over robotic because I'd like to leave it on the pool when I'm not in it, especially over a weekend I'm not around.

Thoughts?
Your reasoning for wanting a pressure side cleaner is a misunderstanding. You can leave the robotic cleaner in the pool hands down. I think that's the better way to go at it.

Smiles79

May 22, 2019
Missouri
A Polaris PB-4 booster pump is only 1 HP. But a booster pump puts all it's water flow into one return directly to the cleaner.

Usually an inground pool pump output is split into a few returns so no one return her that much water power. How many returns does your pump feed?

A Polaris 360 does not require a booster pump...

If your 1.5 HP pump only goes to one return then it would be fine to power a cleaner. But then how would you turn off the cleaner and circulate the water?
It just has one return. I've heard the 360 doesn't need a booster, but I also have heard some negative reviews on it.
Your reasoning for wanting a pressure side cleaner is a misunderstanding. You can leave the robotic cleaner in the pool hands down. I think that's the better way to go at it.
I've always heard not to leave them in because it can degrade seals and such. Do you have a robotic cleaner?

Another question was about a cleaner designed for in-ground vs above ground. What's the difference?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Another question was about a cleaner designed for in-ground vs above ground. What's the difference?
There is not any functionally.

AGP pool cleaners tend to be simpler at a lower price point. An AGP does not have ledges or steps or tile lines that an IGP cleaner needs to try and clean.

Smiles79

May 22, 2019
Missouri
There is not any functionally.

AGP pool cleaners tend to be simpler at a lower price point. An AGP does not have ledges or steps or tile lines that an IGP cleaner needs to try and clean.
Are there any concerns with buying a cleaner that will climb walls on an AGP? Any potential liner damage leading to leaks/tears?

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marrietta Ga
One advantage a Polaris has is it runs if the pump is running which could be all day.
When mine worked it worked good but seemed it was always acting up.