Pressure drops inexplicably

Based on the issue with the previous pump, I would suspect a power quality problem.

I would want to put a power monitor on the line to see the voltage, amps and power usage over time.

I would want a data log to see what happens over a 24 hr period.

Either that or I would put a resistive load on the line and watch the voltage for a while. I would use a 240 stove element about 8" and 2,000 watts. You can check the amps as well to see if they fluctuate. Of course the element will get hot, so you have to rig up a safe test site.

Or, check all of the breakers and wires going to the pump.

Have an electrician check it out if you're not sure about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wireform
I called Pentair about the error codes. They ended up saying to open it and check for anything blocking the impeller. So I opened it and found this.

4C7A8EF2-58BA-4ACE-BAA1-A1B5178DD3D8.jpeg
The stupid pine needles again! Not only that but there were cracks around the diffuser and one of the nuts pressed into the sealplate came right out with the screw.
DD0CA902-50DD-49A6-8976-8F2C29284FE4.jpeg
57E183A7-46BE-4EEF-9172-5783DBDA59D3.jpeg
AFCBADDD-13C3-4A6F-B645-D6311738C0B3.jpeg
BEDBAA56-0512-4BEA-B3A4-1D72C016C2D3.jpeg
Pretty sure that’s not right and I can’t imagine the pine needles caused it after only a month. I feel like the more likely thing was that the stuff was damaged to begin with and the pine needles got under it because they were able to.

So I guess I call Pentair back and ask for a new diffuser and sealplate...

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
Was there enough debris to impede the impeller?

Is the basket installed correctly?
Basket is fine, only fits one way. These things just slip through it because they point the direction of the water flow. We end up with a ton in our filter every year. Hard to say if the impeller was impeded but I can’t imagine it was spinning well with pine needles pressed between the diffuser and seal plate against the impeller.

We have hairnets on order to act as skimmer socks.

The controller will reduce the rpm to protect against excessive amperage.

So, maybe the impeller was being restricted by debris and causing the amperage to go too high.

The problem with the previous pump still points to a possible problem with the power supply, in my opinion.

I feel pretty sure that the problem with the old pump was pine needles getting between the impeller and the diffuser and opening up the plastic to prevent good suction/push.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also can’t hurt to make sure all the screws are tight where the wire slides in while it’s off
They were. So not sure why that error popped up.

Pentair is sending a new diffuser and sealplate (along with their seals, presumably that means the o-rings). I'll put those in once they arrive. :)

Reactions: markayash
Parts came in yesterday. I swapped out the sealplate and the diffuser. Now it seems to be working well. :)

Pool was a bit hazy when I removed the solar cover, but it’s been on all week. Took FC to slam level, gave the whole thing a nice vacuum and brushing. By tomorrow it should be better. If not I’ll keep up the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.