Silver Supporter
May 30, 2020
Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool pump is old. It's still running ok but making some ugly noises and I'm preparing for the day it dies (pictures included). There's no indication it won't last through this season but who knows what opening in the spring will bring.
I'd like to start researching replacement pumps so I'm not doing this on the fly if the thing dies. But honestly, I'm overwhelmed. Right now we have a single speed pump. Our plumbing is really basic - one main drain, one skimmer, 2 returns. However, the spouse says at some point he'd like to install a heater but that's a whole different discussion. I'd still like to factor that in to the pump decision though.
So where do I even start? Best brands? What size?

Attachments

• 20210917_085521.jpg
    20210917_085521.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210917_085513.jpg
    20210917_085513.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 14
Your pump running on 120V or 240V?

What amp CB is your pool pump?

Installing a heater will not affect your pump choice.

I just replaced the exact same motor last winter.
I have that pump body too! I'd only replace the motor. If you remove the back cover and post a close up photo of the wiring we can determine if it's 110v or 220v.

I swapped it out for a 2-speed motor from inyopools. Very happy w it.

The motor being that close to the filter (just like mine is) I can tell there is not enough room for a variable speed motor. The control housing is too wide. So 2-speed was the way to go without replumbing and moving the filter.

Last edited:
You will be very happy with replacing your motor with a VS on your existing pump. If you can do that (very easy) then you can easily change $10 of plastic plumbing to accommodate a controller on your motor if it is too tight of a fit.

The darn screws on the cover are rusted on and I can't get them loosened. I'll have to get the spouse to try and loosen those. He's generally pretty handy and can DIY a good bit of things so I'll have to pull him on this. This is the circuit breaker but that's probably not helpful.

Attachments

• 20210917_140804.jpg
    20210917_140804.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 8
That is a 15 amp 240V CB. Be sure you get a pump that specifies a 15 amp CB in the Installation Manual. Many specify 20 amps. Otherwise you will need to replace the CB and maybe wiring run to the pump.

Current codes require a GFCI CB for pool pumps.

Reactions: V___25
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.