Preparing for a cold snap

Chungus

Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2019
Texas
We have an unusual early cold front coming with temps as low as 25 degrees over 3-4 days. We aren’t ready to close our pool yet as there is still warm time left. We had highs in the 90s this week.

This is my first year with the pool so I am new to this. I have been reading a lot on here about how to winterize when closing the pool down for the season but I couldn’t find anything on what to do for this scenario.

As long as the water is moving and heater going I don’t think there will be any issues but we have a built in spa so It can’t be flowing everywhere at once. We also have an automatic cover but have water features (with their own pump and filter)which can’t be on with the cover closed.

I know the cover would retain heat but my thoughts were to either open the cover and turn everything on for the duration of the cold spell or winterize the water feature/pump/filter and leave the cover closed and the main pump flowing. Thoughts? Ideas?

Not sure where in Texas you are located but assume the NW Panhandle.
When it got to be 20 degrees in Houston a couple of years ago, I ran my pump full time (it circulates through the spa). I turned off waterfall as I did not want a frozen cascade into the pool. I then had 2 tarps I hung over and around my pool equipment, with sufficient clearance that nothing would get caught. This kept the wind off of the equipment. The heat from the pump was sufficient to keep the other pump and exposed piping warm. I did not turn on my heater. This worked for me and everything was safe from an exposure standpoint and no issues with the tarps if they are tied down properly. I do not have a pool cover.
I'll be interested to what others suggest.
I basically got off an international flight and had to rig this up before dark.

We have an unusual early cold front coming with temps as low as 25 degrees over 3-4 days. We aren’t ready to close our pool yet as there is still warm time left. We had highs in the 90s this week.

This is my first year with the pool so I am new to this. I have been reading a lot on here about how to winterize when closing the pool down for the season but I couldn’t find anything on what to do for this scenario.

As long as the water is moving and heater going I don’t think there will be any issues but we have a built in spa so It can’t be flowing everywhere at once. We also have an automatic cover but have water features (with their own pump and filter)which can’t be on with the cover closed.

I know the cover would retain heat but my thoughts were to either open the cover and turn everything on for the duration of the cold spell or winterize the water feature/pump/filter and leave the cover closed and the main pump flowing. Thoughts? Ideas?
Wow!! Talk about bipolar weather lol. And I thought it was bad up here! When temperatures are at or below freezing, run the pump 24 hours!!!!!! You may have a feature that turns yours on automatically (mine does not) but I wouldn’t chance it.

I am up just above you and closed yesterday for this exact reason... I came out yesterday and my VS pump had activated freeze protection and was running at 50%...

I do believe your intelliflo has freeze protection also so you should be good but if not run at 30% or so.... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.