Pre-pour panic for vinyl liner bond beam for stone coping.

sclarkenator

May 29, 2021
Utah
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I'm getting my bond beam formed today. I'm having my typical last-minute panics with something like this realizing the millions of things I don't know.

Here are my questions.

1) should I separate the coping from the concrete on top of the pool wall in case I ever need to change the coping/liner track? I wouldn't think I would need to do this, but I definitely don't want to be regretting it down the road as I'm chipping it away to replace it...

2) Anybody know what these clips are for? I have about 100 of them. Can't find info on them anywhere. I'm assuming they have to do with the coping, but I don't even know that for sure. Maybe I'm just being punked, lol.

3) I'm planning on the coping overhanging the pool 2" and am planning on 12" wide coping. I'm assuming there's still plenty of bite with the remaining 10" glued down. Should I go 12" wide instead (14" wide coping)?

Thank you all and happy Memorial Day.

Attachments

• backside of coping.jpeg
    backside of coping.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 39
  • clip config 3.jpeg
    clip config 3.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 40
  • clip configuration 2.jpeg
    clip configuration 2.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 41
  • clip conigurations.jpeg
    clip conigurations.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 42
I'm getting my bond beam formed today. I'm having my typical last-minute panics with something like this realizing the millions of things I don't know.

Here are my questions.

1) should I separate the coping from the concrete on top of the pool wall in case I ever need to change the coping/liner track? I wouldn't think I would need to do this, but I definitely don't want to be regretting it down the road as I'm chipping it away to replace it...

2) Anybody know what these clips are for? I have about 100 of them. Can't find info on them anywhere. I'm assuming they have to do with the coping, but I don't even know that for sure. Maybe I'm just being punked, lol.

3) I'm planning on the coping overhanging the pool 2" and am planning on 12" wide coping. I'm assuming there's still plenty of bite with the remaining 10" glued down. Should I go 12" wide instead (14" wide coping)?

Thank you all and happy Memorial Day.
Good news/bad news on #2. These clips are stiffeners for the forms on the vinyl-over-stairs. Bad news is I already poured the pool-krete. They're bowing decently enough that I'll probably cut out a few inches of the pool-krete to get the stiffeners installed for a straighter stairs.

I ordered from royal pools. The pool is a 20x50'. When I poured the footer around the walls I also poured plenty in the stairs, too.

Why pool-krete in them? the honest to goodness answer is pure ignorance ;) The pool crete is just the top 2 inches on top of 3/4" clean gravel.

Attachments

• cropped pool with steps.jpeg
    cropped pool with steps.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 36
I'm confused. You said you poured the stairs with footers and go on to say they are 3/4 clean with a vermiculite top. The issue is Verm will crack with time and ground water and you don't want that on stairs treads. Always pour them with concrete you can foam top then for softness

I'm confused. You said you poured the stairs with footers and go on to say they are 3/4 clean with a vermiculite top. The issue is Verm will crack with time and ground water and you don't want that on stairs treads. Always pour them with concrete you can foam top then for softness
Instructions I've seen for open pour vinyl over step kits (and what we're personally doing) is 4-6" of concrete inside the steps, backfill with gravel (like you do the pool collar) and then finish with 2" of pool krete or whatever your pool floor base is.

Do you not recommend the use of pool krete at all? Or why specifically not on the stairs?

oh it's amateur hour over here for sure. I do my best to read everything possible, ask questions when I'm stumped, but there really is no substitute for experience. I have my ongoing list of things I would do differently if there is ever a next time.

Reactions: KfenTx
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.