Pre-Opening in Toronto

Hi,
I had a new safety cover installed last fall and it's starting to warm up here in Toronto, Canada. The pool is quite full now from the rain and still reasonably clear that I can see down to the bottom. In years past I would open the tarp cover late May, but I was thinking of opening earlier. I'm planning on getting a VS pump installed in the next few weeks so I'm thinking I'll open up once it gets installed.

Any thoughts about doing these steps pre-opening:
-Using my robot with spring cleanup filter to get the worms/leaves out
-Dropping in some bleach to activate the bromine
-Adding some algicide?

thanks.,

Welcome!!

1. Yes for sure. Some robots may not handle heavy leaf buildup, so netting may be needed to assist.
2. What type of Bromine products are you using? Ingredients, and how long using?
3. No, do not use an Algacide. Some have very undesirable side effects, and you can do without them anyway.

Please check out Pool School, and begin with the ABCs section. Read around more, and see what chemicals we suggest, ones we don't, and why. Enjoy your time on TFP!

Welcome!!

1. Yes for sure. Some robots may not handle heavy leaf buildup, so netting may be needed to assist.
2. What type of Bromine products are you using? Ingredients, and how long using?
3. No, do not use an Algacide. Some have very undesirable side effects, and you can do without them anyway.

Please check out Pool School, and begin with the ABCs section. Read around more, and see what chemicals we suggest, ones we don't, and why. Enjoy your time on TFP!

Bromine Pucks. Bromo-Chloro-Dimenthyl Hydantoin. At least 3 seasons, probably more with the previous owner. The water has been lowered every winter for the winterization.

Any thoughts on How much bleach I need to pour in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just another thought.

Why not open the pool, get big stuff out with net, let robot clean up the fine stuff. Get your brmine to proper levels, then put safety cover back on so all the buds and pollen don't enter your pool. Remove a corner once in a while to make sure it's still clear. Remove cover once you are starting your swimming season.

That sounds like what I will do...
1. Net out the bigger stuff. (just a small pile of leaves in the middle of the pool)
2. Robot to clean finer dirt & add some bleach while the robot is stirring up the water.
After the new pump is installed..
3. Run the pool up to normal chemistry and leave the cover on until after the buds and pollen fall and it's warm enough to swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.