Power outage problems with main pool pump and booster pump.

BlueBaron

Bronze Supporter
Aug 27, 2020
Orinda, California
Hello, I live in an area that frequently has power outages (one or two a month). This creates a problem for me with my pool because I have a main Pentair pool pump (which is controlled by the digital timer built into the pool pump) and a separate booster pump which runs off a mechanical intermatic timer. The booster pump should only run when the main pool pump is running. The problem occurs when the power goes out (the main pool pump timer doesnt run until I reset it after the power goes on) but the booster pump starts running at the wrong time when the power goes back on. I have had 2 booster pumps burn out this way. Does anyone know of a way (without buying a complex pool automation system) that I can configure the booster pump so that it absolutely wont run unless the main pool pump is running? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Look at these threads for how folks have used a current sense relay to know when the main pump is running.

Or look at the Pentair IntelliConnect which costs a few hundred and can control both your pumps.

Look at these threads for how folks have used a current sense relay to know when the main pump is running.

Or look at the Pentair IntelliConnect which costs a few hundred and can control both your pumps.
Thank you very much. I may be mistaken, but I thought the Intelliconnect cost a few thousand, not a few hundred. But maybe I dont understand. Thanks again!

If you have an Intermatic timer, it can be directly replaced with an Intermatic P1353ME, digital. This clock will maintain time for about 8 hours if the power goes out. After 8, yes you will have to re-set the clock, but not the programming.
If you install it, be aware that each of the outputs are designed to "break" only one leg of the power unless you pick the proper mode. Follow the instructions exactly. This is how my system has been set up for well over 10 years with no problems.

If you have an Intermatic timer, it can be directly replaced with an Intermatic P1353ME, digital. This clock will maintain time for about 8 hours if the power goes out. After 8, yes you will have to re-set the clock, but not the programming.
If you install it, be aware that each of the outputs are designed to "break" only one leg of the power unless you pick the proper mode. Follow the instructions exactly. This is how my system has been set up for well over 10 years with no problems.
Thank you for this tip. I have a question though. My main Pentair Intelliflo resets its clock when the power goes off ( it does not hold time time). How do you deal with that?

My main Pentair Intelliflo resets its clock when the power goes off ( it does not hold time time). How do you deal with that?

How old is your pump? If within warranty make a warranty claim.

Pentair customer service says it should retain the time for 96 hours, and if not, something is wrong with "the capacitor that holds the time." The only thing that can fix this is "replacing the drive," which is expensive. A new drive runs around $600.

Being in California with high energy rates, I would seriously consider a robotic cleaner that does not require the pump to run at all. Those booster pumps use quite a bit of energy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.