power outage, pool freezes and possible pump replacement advise.

nassermaz

Feb 9, 2021
Mansfield, TX
Hi, I am in DFW area, temperature was below 10 degree and our power went out overnight(pump was running all the time before outage)
I realized outage in the morning, i shut the pump power from breaker, i opened the drain plug of the pump strainer pot and put it back very loose so the water can flow in a low speed, i opened the pump drain plug which is next to the strainer plug but no water there to drain or it freezes already, i opened the air valve on the filter pot and covered all the equipments and pipes,

there is a thick layer of ice all over the pool surface and water level getting very low now,

Do I need to add water to the pool at this point?

In case I end up replacing the pool pump, what do you recommend and where do you recommend to buy it from( single speed 2hp pump) I am not very happy with the electric consumption of the pump.

Thank you for any recommendation or advice.

Attachments

• IMG_5919.jpg
    IMG_5919.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5917.png
    IMG_5917.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 63
Welcome to TFP! :wave: For now, don't add anymore water to the pool. Leave the system off and ensure the pump basket drain plugs remain out and keep the filter drain open as well. Wrap/cover any exposed plumbing and keep the pad covered as well. At the pool, remove the skimmer basket and insert a plastic liter bottle (or gallon milk jug) about 1/3 full of RV antifreeze or gravel to help occupy volume in the skimmer to prevent ice expansion.

We can discuss the pump after the winter storm, but best bet is to either replace with a 2-speed or variable speed pump/motor.

Reactions: nassermaz
Hi, Thank you very much for the information, we are still at the freezing temperature, This weekend will be 45 and 55 degrees during the day. I may be able to add water to the pool and test the motor and equipment on Monday hopefully.

My pool water is still draining out from the both pump drainage plugs, the water level is about 2 inches below the skimmer now, there is no valve on the pipeline that I can close to prevent pool water from coming to the pool motor and the equipment! I always have this issue when I am cleaning the cartridges.
Is it ok if the pool water drains in half till the weekend? Do I need to install a valve behind the pump input pipeline so I can close and open the water for any reason?(later on)

Thank you again

My pool water is still draining out from the both pump drainage plugs, the water level is about 2 inches below the skimmer now, there is no valve on the pipeline that I can close to prevent pool water from coming to the pool motor and the equipment! I always have this issue when I am cleaning the cartridges.
Is it ok if the pool water drains in half till the weekend? Do I need to install a valve behind the pump input pipeline so I can close and open the water for any reason?(later on)

Your pool equipment is below the waterline which causes siphoning of the water from your return lines. You should have isolation valves on your suction and return lines to close them before you open up your pump or pool equipment to prevent the siphoning.

Do you have a plaster pool or a vinyl liner pool? You can let water drain from plaster pool but you will have many gallons draining around your house. You should not let the water drain from a vinyl liner pool.

If you plug your pipes to stop the flow it can be a point for freezing and cracking the pipe.

You can put the drain plugs back in your pump and water may freeze in the pumps.

There is no safe answer, pick your poison.

I am not sure and don't know exactly the difference but i think i have a Plaster pool, it seems like concrete, I attached some pictures if that helps.

What happens to the plaster pool if it drains partially? What if I add some water to the pool on top of the ice now?

Attachments

• IMG_5919.jpg
    IMG_5919.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5942.jpg
    IMG_5942.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5941.jpg
    IMG_5941.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5944.jpg
    IMG_5944.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 31
The weight of the water in a plaster pool holds it in the ground against the pressure of subsurface water trying to float the pool if you have a high water table. So too much water draining from your pool risks your pool popping out of the ground. And yes, we have seen pics of it happening. With all the snow melting your underground water table can rise.

Pouring water into the pool while letting it drain out the pump will add to water around your property. And I don't know what damage all that water around your property will cause.

No easy answer.

Just want to say I am in the DFW area as well and feel your pain. We were VERY lucky and never lost power but I have been freaking out about it all week. We had plumbing issues inside our house and really hoped to avoid the pool as well. I honestly didn't know ice could form on a pool here with the pump going. This picture is from Monday by Tuesday it covered about 80% of the pool and was over an 1" thick. Had to break it up with a sledge hammer. Crazy!

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 47
Thank you, wow that much ice even with pump running! here started melting a little this evening but probably will freeze again tonight, thanks god we didn't have any other issues with home, electricity connected back yesterday as well, only concern is the pool, thank you again and be safe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.