Potentially Serious Problem

YesRushGen

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Suffolk, VA, US
I posted elsewhere for advice about replacing our liner later this summer. The project needs to be fast tracked based on a discovery this weekend. A leak.

Sorry for the length of this post - trying to be thorough!

On 6/1, Friday morning, my wife reported having to top off an unusual amount of water. We've been surprised by high evaporation rates before, but I've done the leak/bucket tests and never had evidence of a leak. Still, I thought she might've been exaggerating.

On 6/2, Saturday morning, we lost approximately the same amount of water the previous night. I became suspicious, but couldn't give any attention due to several home inspection appointments.

On 6/2, late Saturday afternoon, only 6 hours after refilling, the water level was almost as low as it was that morning. There just had to be a leak.

I found the cuprit quickly. Our pool was built in late 2005/early 2006. There's always been a minor imperfection (call it a "dent") in the bottom, right at the shallow end/slope boundary. The size of it has never changed noticeably, until I looked closely and saw that it was enlarged considerably. I could also see a black speck in the center of it. Using a brush quickly showed it was not a piece of trash.

I immediately got in the pool, armed with diving mask, vinyl liner patch kit, scissors and a piece of vinyl - in case this was the leak. Upon reaching the site, and feeling around, there was no doubt this was the leak. I could feel the water escaping through the hole - it was maybe a quarter to half inch long. I came up, prepared the patch and installed it. I've attached Before and After imaged so you can see. You'll have to zoom WAY in to see the hole prior to the patch. Afterwards, we topped the water off again to optimal level and performed an overnight leak test.

On 6/3, Sunday morning, the leak test was a success. The patch held!

However, the more I began thinking about it, the more I am concerned. Doing a rough volume calculation: 3 inch total loss over 2 days, 20 by 40ft pool, I get 200 cu.ft. which is about 1500 gallons - lost through that tiny hole! There is bound to be soil erosion under the pool, no idea how much.

Looking at either image, you can see an outer "ring" which is the boundary where vermiculite erosion has occurred. Within that, there is an inner ring which is the boundary where the vermiculite is gone. The inside of the inner ring is perfectly bowel shaped, which makes me think there is no soil there at all. If that's true, then that small area of liner is the ONLY THING holding water in the pool. I can't imagine it lasting long.

Obviously we are concerned and we want to get this properly taken care of at once. I have contacted three companies over the weekend requesting preliminary estimates, haven't heard from any as of this morning.

While we're waiting, is there anything we should do? Should we drain the pool down to the point where the leak couldn't possibly re-open?

(Edit, while writing this, I just received first call - East Coast Leisures preliminary estimate of $3200, 3 to 4 works for earliest work)

Thanks,

Kelly

Attachments

• LeakBefore.jpg
    LeakBefore.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 167
  • LeakAfter.jpg
    LeakAfter.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 166
Thanks guys.

I also forgot to mention this: There are already several secondary "craters" a short distance from repair site. I'm wondering if this is due to soil erosion such that soil is no longer supporting the vermiculate causing it to "cave in" or "crater" in some areas. You can see a few of them between the repair site and the wrinkles.

1500 gallons, even if in one 24 hour period, is just 1 gpm. That is really slow. If your soil has any amount of permeability, it disappeared without issue.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.