Potential gray mottling in new plaster?

c_cox

May 25, 2020
Homestead, FL
Hey folks,

My new in-ground pool was finished in late March of this year. The builder used Florida Stucco white (undyed) plaster with Sky Blue gems, and ever since the pool was finished, we've noticed some plaster discoloration that has gradually darkened. Most of the discoloration is in areas where the crew walked on fresh plaster with spiky shoes during the plaster application process.

We had our water tested by a professional lab, and our iron/copper/etc levels are quite low, so it shouldn't be metal staining. Are these stains the gray mottling that sometimes shoes up with incorrect plaster mixing / water use during troweling?

Please note in the pictures there are also some brownish organic stains; those happened when we had leaves fall onto the fresh plaster before the pool was filled. (The pool is surrounded by large trees, and a screen enclosure is in the works.)

Thank you so much for your help!

Current water test results:
FC: 12.5 (I bumped it up temporarily because we just had a big storm and were blessed with a bunch of frog eggs)
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 375
CYA: 60
Salt: 3200
Temp: 90 degrees F

Attachments

• Mottle4.jpeg
    Mottle4.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Mottle3.jpeg
    Mottle3.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 50
  • Mottle2.jpeg
    Mottle2.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Mottle1.jpeg
    Mottle1.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 52
That gray discoloration in your pool does seem to be the gray mottling that I have written about. However, please run your hand on those areas to see if the plaster finish is smooth and does not have rough calcium carbonate scale deposited on the surface. See below.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.