Post up pics of your cantilever umbrellas

@Arizonarob - I could be wrong, but I don't think a typical umbrella sleeve is strong enough for the cantilevered umbrellas. We are looking into it and most of the anchors require the pole to be deep set in concrete. Will probably end up with something like this in the grass at the pool edge:

Treasure Garden In Ground Mount Kit For AKZ Cantilever Umbrellas Only | AMK-G

But please post if you find something!

@Arizonarob - I could be wrong, but I don't think a typical umbrella sleeve is strong enough for the cantilevered umbrellas. We are looking into it and most of the anchors require the pole to be deep set in concrete. Will probably end up with something like this in the grass at the pool edge:

Treasure Garden In Ground Mount Kit For AKZ Cantilever Umbrellas Only | AMK-G

But please post if you find something!

Well thanks for raining on my parade!! :grrrr: :laughblue:

I’m just kidding. But I do like that sleeve kit. I wonder if it is designed to only work with their 500 dollar umbrella they sell, or could it work with others?
I was looking at using a cheapo umbrella just to give some shade in the pool area on each side, that’s why I figured if the poll would fit the current sleeves, the umbrella wouldn’t be two heavy.
I can basically make a sleeve anywhere around the pool with some simple PVC and set it in concrete with a cap when not in use.
Thanks for that link, I’m going to do a little more research on that thing.

We just recently added this cantilever umbrella to our pool area:

IMG_20180604_095920685.jpg

I took the picture around 9:45 am. The shadow from the umbrella is on the decking. But, from early until late afternoon, the umbrella shades about 20% of the pool.

The umbrella is from Amazon, but I just checked and it is no longer listed. You will notice that in addition to the base made for the umbrella (which I was able to stuff with about 130 lbs. of sand), I also purchased an additional umbrella base weight (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTBZW38/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I have about 75 lbs. of sand in it. The most common problem I have read about cantilever umbrellas is that they blow over in the wind because the base is not heavy enough. I'm hoping 200 lbs. of sand will be sufficient.

Nice pics of the cantilever umbrellas....now that y'all have had them a few months whats the verdict? How are they doing in windy conditions? My space has wind everyday and some days it truly blows. Thanks all!!!

Ours has held up great so far. We are fairly protected by trees but there has been some pretty good wind and no issue with the umbrella being unstable when open or closed. And it's awesome! Almost as good as a robot! Well, maybe not that great, but we're happy with it for sure!

The fact you mentioned umbrella in the same boat as Gilligan says a lot about the product! Thanks pooldv

13' Brass Octagonal Cantilever w/ Valance - Umbrellas - The Great Escape

262sb3n.jpg

By the way, the base on my umbrella has 4 sections. Each section is filled with more than 50lbs of sand and then filled with water. It took a surprising amount of water to fill each one. I dont know how much each section weighs after being fillled with sand and water but i do know that i got tired of moving them while trying to get the base leveled. :) I would guess at least 4 or 5 gallons so each section probably weighs 80 to 100 lbs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We ended up buying FOUR?!?! of these Hampton Bay 11ft Cantilever Umbrellas on sale at Home Depot for $230 each. Built in LED lighting with solar charger. We had to buy sand to fill the base with. $4 bag for like 6 40lb bags for each umbrella. Very sturdy and high quality from what I can tell. Love how we can tilt them and block out the evening sun. It also rotates 360 and locks in place at each 45 degree. The dark red ones are very nice. Not too bright and gaudy.

de569cd2e4921034696aa70ccf643469.jpg

f307c92df750aaabc303c0375376953c.jpg

4f3efba8ee78f31aeddbd979e4369eaa.jpg

Jamison, I love your deck!

- - - Updated - - -

And your whiskey...

Haha! Thanks :p

As for how it's holding up. Second year with this current one and going strong. Keep in mind that it is 4ft higher off the ground being mounted to the deck so it does catch the wind more than if it was probably on the ground. It does move around a bit but nothing really major. Don't put it up if it's really windy. The last one we had lasted about 5yrs but it was never covered when not in use. The fabric started to rot and a replacement canopy was over $120!!! This one I keep covered when it's it open plus I treated it with sun protectant/waterproofer.

Very nice Revlus...how are they with a little wind?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the feedback!

Very nice Revlus...how are they with a little wind?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the feedback!

Today was the first time I had them up in some fairly good wind. They blew around and swayed... but there is a tiedown on the edge nearest the pole. I wasn't nervous letting em blow around.... they certainly weren't going to blow over with all that sand in the base... the pole was rock solid.

I think they are meant to move around a bit on purpose.

I'd put em down if a storm came through of course... but today's general windy day it was just fine.

Today I finally noticed the ONE downside I've seen thus far. The bolts that hold the pole into the base.... I moved one today... and saw a rust spot underneath on my deck!!!! ggrrrrr..... So.... something inside is not stainless.

Now that I am remembering... I think it's the nuts the bolts go into.... that attach the legs of the base to the pole. Maybe I'll silicon caulk the area and see if I can keep water from getting in there. Really don't want rust stains everywhere

Now that I am remembering... I think it's the nuts the bolts go into.... that attach the legs of the base to the pole. Maybe I'll silicon caulk the area and see if I can keep water from getting in there. Really don't want rust stains everywhere

In a review that I had read about our umbrella, the reviewer said that one the nuts that is welded to the base stripped when he was assembling the umbrella. Being concerned about that and also the potential for rust, I went to Lowes and bought some stainless steel nuts and bolts. I used the stainless steel bolts with the welded-in nuts and then added the stainless steel nuts and tightened them up against the welded-in nuts. I think I should be safe from rust. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.