Post July Algae Bloom... Questions?

You lower TA and pH with muriatic acid, then you raise pH by aeration (so TA doesn't change). However, this is a slow process as you have indicated.

Please finish your SLAM before you even consider borating your pool.

Right, I got it now. :)

Again, I think this is a bit of conflicting info... I noticed in the borating thread others appeared to be borating during a SLAM more towards the end. I can't really see what the harm would be, if any? However, I am fairly confident my SLAM will be done before the weekend. I was not able to check my levels this morning as I had to leave very early. I will be running my tests when I get home.

How can adding borates during the SLAM do anything but help as the borates should slow new algae growth?

Also, can anyone speak to the "safe" MA being used for the borating process? Here it is...
WOW I just realized the price on that... I'll have to check when I get home, but pretty sure that's what I got and it wasn't that expensive.. it was $9.99 for a gallon.

Thanks!

Just got home and re-tested. Had some algae (tiny amount) in the pool this AM, so I added some more bleach and brushed. Didn't have time to test so I winged it and added 64OZ trying to stay ahead of the game.

OTO: NEON ORANGE
CYA:40
FC: 27.5
CC: 0

Pool is clear now... going to do an OCLT tonight/tomorrow AM (Should I wait just before the sun goes down? Shade is on the pool now? Does that count?)

If my OCLT is good, then BORATES HERE I COME!!! :D

Seems like if you pass the only then what you are seeing may not be algae. Maybe it's something else like fine stuff your filter is missing. I don't remember seeing one but did you ever take a pic of the stuff settled on the bottom and post it?

Seems like if you pass the only then what you are seeing may not be algae. Maybe it's something else like fine stuff your filter is missing. I don't remember seeing one but did you ever take a pic of the stuff settled on the bottom and post it?

No... didn't get a chance, better half took my waterproof camera last weekend on a trip. LOL :D

I wound up vacuuming the pool Friday, and brushing... so far (knock wood) I have not seen any more algae. If it does come back, I will take a photo.

I have also been adding about 1/4 of my chlorine dosage directly in my skimmer to treat my filter as I did suspect it might have something to do with it.

Could it be pollen or something else? Possibly... it didn't look like it though, because when you brush you get a GREEN cloud. But we've had so much rain that I wouldn't rule that out entirely. I need to pickup a snorkel and mask. LOL :D

At any rate, we keep having pretty severe afternoon storms with a lot of rain, and the fields and roads in my area are starting to approach flood status.

I have everything to add borates to the pool, but I am in standby because I don't want to do it and back wash a ton to lower the water level.

If anything changes, ya'll will be the first to know.

Ahhh and also, I do the DE sand filter trick... and that has worked wonders on my water clarity, so I doubt anything is getting by the DE?

:D

I'd be careful with putting the chlorine straight into the skimmer. I've read that over time that can cause problems with parts of your pump and filter because of the low ph caused (temporarily but all right in the pump/skimmer/filter parts) and high doses of concentrated chlorine (Same thing, temporary but all concentrated in your seals/gaskets/plastic parts etc)

Probably ok once or twice but regularly could cause some premature wear on your plumbing! :)

Dust/pollen/floaty stuff sure is bad here this year so I always have some stuff settling on the bottom. Some days are worse than others. I know my chlorine is right and not losing any overnight so I figure it's more a nuisance than anything growing in there.

Hope it keeps clear for you! :)

Well just an update on my ZOMBIE ALGAE problem... LOL... :D

I wound up adding borates late last week. Dropped my TA/PH down with MA, and then added the borax, and then more MA to get the PH back down.

The better half ordered an Intex salt system around the same time and it arrived last Friday. I picked up 160LBS of pool salt and added to the pool on Saturday. We swam and mixed it in. On Sunday I connected the system and turned it on. It started working right away.

Since then my FC level has been steady at 5~ and the SWG runs about 6 hours a day.

I have also added some more stabilizer (via sock) as my CYA was at 40 and I wanted to get it up to 60.

I will be re-checking this weekend as it will be almost a week since it was added.

What I can say is that since I started this process I have seen NO re-occurrence of my mustard algae problem.

I don't know if the BORAX / MA / SALT just put a hurting on it, but it worked for me. :D

The water is SPARLKY and clear. It also feels GREAT and does not have any noticeable smell. Just a little salty if you splash it in your mouth. LOL

Better half picked up some salt test strips and chlorine strips, but they were pricey and I have no need for the chlorine strips. I am going to exchange them out for some others.

I'm glad to be enjoying my TFP. :snorkle: :party: :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.