Post Harvey question

Aug 16, 2016
Houston Texas
We got an incredible amount of rain. Although my house did not flood, my neighborhood is cut off due to floodwaters surrounding us. We cannot get in or out except by boat, and only for medical emergencies. So I have to deal with my pool chemistry post Harvey with what I have on hand. But I do think we will be able to get out Friday or Saturday. I have plenty of bleach, plenty of acid, 4 pounds hardness plus, 12lbs baking soda. Here are my pre and post Harvey numbers:

pre Harvey

pH 7.7
fc 4.2
cc. 0
ta. 70
ch 330
cya 50
water temp. 89

post Harvey now

ph 7.91
fc 3.4
cc 0
ta 80 ( it was 40 yesterday, add baking soda)
ch 150
cya Less than 30
water temp 78

I changed from salt water to chlorine about 5 months ago, using bleach as a sanitizer. So my question is should I add the 4 lbs of calcium I have on hand or can I wait until the weekend and see if I can get pucks at a pool store when I can get out? I think I will have to change to pucks anyway, because it will be hard to find bleach since it will be sorely needed for clean up. Any advice for anything I might not be recognizing?

thanks in advance!

How are you getting a pH of 7.91?

Don't worry about your CH so much now. Keep your chlorine up with whatever you have on hand for now, pH in the 7s.

I have to say if I couldn't leave my house keeping the pool perfect would be the least of my worries!

I hope everything dries up quickly for you guys.

I think you'll be ok finding chlorine. You may pay a bit more but if you go the puck route just don't add any more CYA as the pucks include them. Try Walmart if you get off your island. I was surprised yesterday the one near us had pool supplies still.

We where locked in to our neighbohood for a night. I don't know what I would do for days! Stay safe.

Eeik

I have to say if I couldn't leave my house keeping the pool perfect would be the least of my worries!

When all you can do is sit at home with nothing on tv except incredibly depressing 24/7 news coverage it's nice to have something to DO. :)

We were socked in for 6 days. I didn't realize how much I missed the outside world until I ventured out to HEB (1/2 mile away - LOL!) They had a total of 6 gallons of bleach. I only took 2 and left the rest for the folks who really needed it. Came home and dropped in the last of the pucks I picked up for vacation a couple of weeks ago to help with the CYA as the pool stores still aren't open. Luckily I had a giant tub of Calcium on hand, and was able to get more baking soda at HEB as well. Assuming it's not raining tomorrow I am looking forward to brushing the pool (never thought I'd say that!)

Hope the waters come down enough for you to get out soon; in the meantime do what you can and don't worry about the rest. A few days shouldn't hurt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.