Post-Algae Breakout Chemical Aftermath

dtrainmcclain

Aug 14, 2021
Austin, TX
Hey all! In my first year as a pool owner (got our in ground fiberglass pool completed end of June last year). All in all I’ve done a decent job of keeping the chemicals leveled (using Pool Math), but things got a little out of whack while we went on vacation last week and I came home to this:

60402A22-CD8D-4E68-A703-183C61515938.jpeg

Using the tips I found here, I got that under control and the pool is back to it’s sparkling self, clear blue self as of yesterday. Testing the water this morning, though, my chemical levels are WAY out of whack. Here’s what I’ve got (all readings using test strip… have the better drop kit recommended on this site coming soon):
7000 Gallon Fiberglass Pool
Tri-Chlor pucks in chlorinator (I used bleach for the shock process in dealing with the algae, though)
FC: 0
CC: 2.0
Ph: 7.8
TA: 240
CH: 50
CYA: 150

Obviously things are way out of whack, especially that CYA (which I think is affecting everything). My initial thought was this was a result of the shocking process and that things will come back down, but that CYA being so high makes me concerned. Thoughts/advice? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day with the pump running. Once you get your test kit, run a full suite of tests and post them here.
I suggest you read through Pool School - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

whoever advised you to use pucks is responsible for the mess you are now in
pool math would have had a fit with your cya level that high
good to hear you have a quality test kit on the way
nearly everyone here came with the same story
and now are posting in the TFP clear pages

whoever advised you to use pucks is responsible for the mess you are now in
pool math would have had a fit with your cya level that high
good to hear you have a quality test kit on the way
nearly everyone here came with the same story
and now are posting in the TFP clear pages
That’s what the poowl installers told us to do and I didn’t know any better until recently, unfortunately. If I don’t use pucks should I not use the chlorinator at all and just use liquid chlorine in the pool itself?

Reactions: aussieta
Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mention the method of application. I did find a link to another conversation where this question was asked, however, and it seemed like people felt it was best not to use the chlorinator with liquid chlorine.

Just wanted to bump this thread to say thanks to everyone for the advice. My pool is algae free, my chemicals are (relatively) balanced, and I've moved to a liquid chlorine approach.

My CYA is down to around 70 from up around 150. I am good with it there, but obviously working to get it lower, slowly.

Thanks again for all the help/advice!

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.