Possible Owner Build in South Florida.

gnr5

May 28, 2019
Miami, FL
Hi everyone,
I'm in South Florida (Fort Lauderdale), I've been reading this forum and other sites about OB pool. I got quotes from the big pool companies in my area and I want to at least dig deeper into building it myself. I've had decided (and my wife thinks I'm crazy) to go Owner Build.

I will update this post with our survey and design ideas.
---

Previous post.
Does anyone know of a company/consultant like BYOP.net that work in the South Florida area? Or has anyone in South Florida done it the OB route that might be willing to share some of the contractors they used?

Thanks so much!
-
---

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry you have not received any responses! Owner builds are scattered throughout this sub forum. Have you tried a search? Be sure to use the G when you do the search.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

We have never owned a pool before so we have a lot of homework to do. So far we know we want salt water, heater, and a few lights. As far as paver we are looking into travertine.

Here is our survey attached, we don't have a big area to work with, but I think we can do something nice for the kids and the adults.
image1.png

And these are two of the designs we like so far. This straight line is 19 X 30
pool1.jpg

This is the second option, free form, is 17 x 30.

pool2.jpg

The majority of pool builders, even home builders just subcontract everything up, so even if you dont want to get your hands dirty, you can do it and save money if you know what you are doing and have knowledge in construction. You would still be the one doing the construction plans, county permits, subcontract every job (excavation, steel, plumbing, gunite, electrical, tile & coping, deck, plaster and landscaping). If I where you, I would try to get some construction plans from a build similar of what you are trying to do and start there. This will give you an idea on plumbing location & size, equipment location, elevation, storm drainage swale (if any), dimmensions of pool, depth of pool, location of lights and other details.

Last edited:
Neto, thanks for the tips. I'll take them into account. So far I'm deciding how to proceed, I'm fairly a DIYer, I remodeled my own kitchen, but nothing to the extent of building a pool or a house.

I have four options as far as builders:

1. Go super DIY - Hire my own engineering firm and then start looking for contractors around my area. Provides the biggest savings, but I'm super scared as I'm not familiar with the equipment. I could do more research here but it will be time-consuming.

2. Go with BYOP - Could use BYOP.net (or similar if anyone recommends something), they charge $2.5k but it includes the engineering plans. I hear it is a lot but will save me tons of time research-wise. One bad thing about them is that they're not in FL. On the positive side they also include consulting.

3. Go with a GC - I contacted a GC around my area that builds pools and he works alongside the homeowner. He charges 20% of what every contractor charges. My savings would be not as big obviously, but I will have someone with experience on my side.

4. Go with a PB - Have gotten two quotes, both for ~35k. Least favorite option.

My wife and I decided to go with the straight lines, will post pic of our plan later (it is slightly different from the one posted before).

Does anyone know a good free software that will let me draw a floor plan?

We are also almost done with signing up with BYOP.

So I think this is our final layout. We are going to adding a sunshel in front of the umbrella. Can someone please add their input to this build, I'm looking for suggestions as far as how many skimmers, equipment, etc.

What we know:
We want a SW system.
We want a heater, but we live in South Florida, doesn't have to be the best heater out there, but enough to keep us swimming year round.
Equipment brand: looking for recommendations

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with a SWCG.
Be sure your skimmers are set up for the prevailing wind.
Are you adding any water features?
Equipment can be any manufacturer. I like Pentair, but any brand will work. Variable speed pump is best. Filter depends on cost of water, how much debris you will get in pool, etc.

@mknauss thanks for the reply.
Do I want to add the skimmers facing the wind, or not? For a pool my size, how many do you recommend?
No water features. Pretty simple build.

I will look into the pentair, I see it come up quite a bit here.

Most folks like two skimmers. You want one to be in a position that the prevailing wind sends the debris to it. The other can be set based on how your returns are plumbed in. Use home runs for each skimmer so you can control them at the pad. Also home run the main drain, if you have one.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind once I start the plans with BYOP. In regards to the main drain, Im still reading the forum about the pros and cons of having one. BYOP is recommending I get one.

In case I dont get a main drain, how could I drain the pool past the skimmers, Im in a hurricane zone, they recommend to drain the pools during major storms (not completely, so maybe draining up to the skimmer is enough?)

Get a sump pump. That way you are not using your $$$ pool pump to drain water and risk it losing prime and damaging itself.

Plot twist! I called an excavator just to kind of get a feeling of what they need from me as it looks like OB pools in South Florida is unheard of.

He told me to forget about going OB, tha savings is not worth the headache, he told me he has been digging pools for 38 years and the few OB have been a headache. He told me to go with a regular PB or a GC. Mentioned that the city would take months to approve OB pools.

I feel so bummed! BYOP seems like a good idea but they are not FL, so I feel a little discouraged about not having a helping hand on site.

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I am trying to wrap up my build! Don't listen to the "excavator guy" - Pool building business in south florida is like working for the mob.
They are loyal to one another. That excavator guy knows that if his pool builder buddies find out he is "straying from the family"...... well they will cut ties with him!

Give me a couple of days and we can get together and go over some things - I am right in Sunrise.

John

Reactions: MyAZPool
I would ask this of you - call some (if not all) the local pool builder guys and get your "apples to apples" quotes. Make sure they detail it to the max. Model numbers - type of tile - type of finish (brand specific) - accessories - water features, etc. etc.

Then we can see what the savings would be

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.