Winter Garden FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Good morning trouble free pool! I have had a bunch of smaller posts but this is my first big one since we're getting serious. My wife and I have been talking about a pool off and on for a couple years now but we think we're in a position to start something. It will be approx. 15X30 with a spa gunnite pool. We have gotten a few quotes from around 79K (before finish upgrades) - 106K (Before finish upgrades)

@Spookie has been nice enough to be working with me on a design over the past few weeks. He has been extremely helpful and patient with me and I am greatly appreciative of his help. I have built the design with him and the equipment list based off research.

Design Overview:
Approx 17,000 Gallons
3.5' to 6' Depth
Deep blue (sapphire) mini pebble interior
Spa: 7' X 7' raised 12"

Equipment:
Pool/Spa Pump: Pentair 011028
Water Feature Pump: Pentair 011028
SWG: IC40
Heat pump: Pentair 460965 (should we do a heat and cool pump?)
Filter: Pentair 160354
Automation: Pentair IntelliCenter System i8PS (should I go with i5PS?)
Pool Light: 2x Pentair Globrite
Spa Light 1x Pentair Globrite
Sunshelf Bubbler: Pentair Globrite
Step Seer Decent: 2X 12" CMP Brilliant Wonders
Wall Sheet Decent: 1X 48" CMP Brilliant wonders

I have attached my first shot at plumbing layout but I've never done this before so I'm sure it's way off. The thought is each water feature would have it's own return or maybe group them like 2 bubblers on 1 2 step sheer descents on 1 and 1 for the wall water feature.

Any questions/comments/ or feedback is greatly appreciated. Never built or owned a pool before. The Step in the patio around the Spa has been removed

Attachments

• 60.png
    60.png
    440.5 KB · Views: 465
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 525
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 539
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    732.8 KB · Views: 496
  • Pool Layout.jpg
    Pool Layout.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Reactions: NickCYC and Spookie
I like what I see! The depths are good, there is a swim lane, lots of pretty features. Good job removing the trip hazard by the spa!

One thing, well two, I would change is the two waterfalls under the fire bowls. You already have the big on in the middle. I think it being a stand alone will make it stand out more. Another reason to remove this is features that roll the water like that pushes the pH up.........now you will be able to push it back down but after a while you will get tired of it plus those three falls will be mighty loud all together. Just some things to think about.

Kim:kim:

I like what I see! The depths are good, there is a swim lane, lots of pretty features. Good job removing the trip hazard by the spa!

One thing, well two, I would change is the two waterfalls under the fire bowls. You already have the big on in the middle. I think it being a stand alone will make it stand out more. Another reason to remove this is features that roll the water like that pushes the pH up.........now you will be able to push it back down but after a while you will get tired of it plus those three falls will be mighty loud all together. Just some things to think about.

Kim Thank you for the response. We will consider removing the 2 waterfalls under the firebowls but we are not sure if we are going to put in the fire bowls now or even ever (due to cost) or if those areas will just be a planter area or something and were afraid without them it might look like it was missing something. I don't know enough about the chemistry side of things (still need to do research on that) to understand how big of an impact but I already been recommended to look into an intelliPH system. I don't plan to run the water features all that often and I think the majority of their use would be when we have people over.

Right now the 2 sides ones are raised 12" I think and the middle ones is 36" raised I think (I'll have to double check).

You can always put a big, pretty bowl up there with some flowers or nothing in them.

Are you doing an owner build or having a pool builder do it? (owner build can be when YOU find and get all of the different trades to do each part of the pool).

I now some/most equipment companies require a "licensed" person to put it in and some also require they buy it. We can/will help you pick out what equipment you want but we will leave it up to you to find where to buy it from. How is that??

You can always put a big, pretty bowl up there with some flowers or nothing in them.

Are you doing an owner build or having a pool builder do it? (owner build can be when YOU find and get all of the different trades to do each part of the pool).

I now some/most equipment companies require a "licensed" person to put it in and some also require they buy it. We can/will help you pick out what equipment you want but we will leave it up to you to find where to buy it from. How is that??

Kim - We're leaning towards an owner build option in this case. I think we'll be able to get a better product at the end of the day for our money. I plan to get the engineering to be above minimum code for rebar and gunnite thickness and most of the pool contractors around here have no idea what they use for thickness and rebar.

Your hardest part will be getting the subs to call you back or come out for quotes. Once you find one good one the others may fall into place. You can save money BUT it will not be very fun at times as it is all on you.

Do you have a job where you can be home as needed? THAT will be very important.

OB can save you money OR allow you to get a "better" pool.....that is up to you which way you go on that.

I played with the return jets a little more for placement and updated the image below.

Attachments

• Pool Layout 5-3-2020.jpg
    Pool Layout 5-3-2020.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 109
Also is it better to locate pool equipment near the suction side or the Spa? The side of our house where the power is would be located on the deep end of the pool. On this side I will have to build a pad to level everything out (yard slopes away from house pretty well) but if I put it on the other side (near the spa) I'd have to run conduit and wire all the way across the house (2 story)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The closer to the pool the more efficient everything works. The closer to your utilities, the less digging for electrical and gas. When I designed it, I put the equipment in what I thought would be the most secluded area but it could be put pretty much anywhere. I’m not sure whether placing equipment closer to either would make too much difference unless it’s a huge difference in distance, someone here will know about this I’m sure. If you place the equipment where it is in the design, gas and electric will not be strapped to the side of your house. It will all be buried in 18” deep trenches.

I already been recommended to look into an intelliPH system.

guy,

I would not initially install the IntelliPH.. Most people just do not need it. Adding a little acid once a week during regular pool maintenance takes a minute of your time.

It can interfere with the operation of the SWCG and just cause more confusion than it is worth.. It can easily be added later if really required.

You want this package deal, as the SWCG power supply is inside the main enclosure.. Pentair IntelliCenter i8PSIC40 Kit - Pool and Spa with Load Center and IC40

Thanks,

Jim R.

guy,

I would not initially install the IntelliPH.. Most people just do not need it. Adding a little acid once a week during regular pool maintenance takes a minute of your time.

It can interfere with the operation of the SWCG and just cause more confusion than it is worth.. It can easily be added later if really required.

You want this package deal, as the SWCG power supply is inside the main enclosure.. Pentair IntelliCenter i8PSIC40 Kit - Pool and Spa with Load Center and IC40

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the information looks like it'll save a few bucks.

Anyone else have any input or thoughts?

With the second water feature pump does the main pool drain and skimmer act as the intake to the pump or is there a different suction?

T,

If you have a second pump it will need its own source of water if you plan on having the main pump running at the same time. Since main drains are almost useless you could run the main drain to the second pump instead of the main pump. That said, you do not want to run unfiltered water though any kind of shear waterfall with a thin slit of an opening. So you will need an additional filter.

Everyone is different of course, but most people find large water features to be much more noisy than they thought and they tend not to be used much, after the initial "fun" wears off.. They do look cool though.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hello from Orlando,

I like it, is there going to be any lighting in the waterfalls?

Hello from Winter Garden! They are currently planned to be color changing LED I attached a snippet of the animation.

1588881425639.png

T,

If you have a second pump it will need its own source of water if you plan on having the main pump running at the same time. Since main drains are almost useless you could run the main drain to the second pump instead of the main pump. That said, you do not want to run unfiltered water though any kind of shear waterfall with a thin slit of an opening. So you will need an additional filter.

Everyone is different of course, but most people find large water features to be much more noisy than they thought and they tend not to be used much, after the initial "fun" wears off.. They do look cool though.

Thanks,

Jim R.

How does my current filter work or should I change it (for both pool and water features). Maybe I'll ask my neighbor to turn on their water features so we can listen to them. They have 3 12" sheer decents I think. If not using the main drains where would you normally put the water feature suction lines? What type of cover? Would you use 1 per feature or 1 per set of features you want to control separately or just 1 main suction line for all of them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.