Possible new pool build this fall- help with quote, please!

Some good news- everything so far has passed inspection.

Bad news- still no gunite and now the weather looks like it’s getting colder and colder. The pb has built a tent for the pool and put in some electric heaters. They are planning to shoot gunite on Tuesday (high of 38 low of 23). They said they may bring in gas heaters on Monday/Tuesday to help bring temps in the pool up if these electric heaters aren’t doing the job. I know this isn’t ideal, but what other options do we have at this point? Pb has a lifetime warranty on the shell already. Anything else they could/should do?

I don't know what the advantage is to you for having this done now. Waiting until next year IMO is a good option. Hopefully a gunite expert will chime in with details on shooting in the cold.

We have gunite! They came out today and shot the pool. They tarp covered the pool overnight and are supposed to return tomorrow to deliver pool equipment, put in the light conduits, and backfill. They are planning to fill with water in a couple days. Finally looks like a real pool!

Here are some pictures from this morning. I think it looks good, but what do I know?! PB wants us to fill the pool with enough water to cover the lowest step in the shallow end tomorrow. Since we're on a well and don't want to lose water pressure for a week +, we have decided to get water brought in from a local fire company. Equipment was delivered today- everything looks like what was written on the contract. They back-filled all of the conduit and the yard is looking better- I guess. After water is in, I think we're done until spring. Anything else I should worry about/do till then? Thanks for all your help thus far!

IMG_6265.jpgIMG_6274.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It DOES look good! Good job on them telling you to add water. To help with the mud and such you can throw some rye seed down with straw on top of it. That really helps it look nice and helps stop the mud.

Kim:kim;

Tiling and coping are done. Now waiting on electrician/plumber to finish up. Then stormwater management system, decking, etc. I think I have a case of spring fever already- ordered and received my TF-100 Deluxe in the mail the other day. Looking forward to finishing this project up! We need to decide if we're going to upgrade to Wet Edge Luna Quartz or stick with plaster, and same for decking materials- stick with brushed concrete or upgrade to exposed aggregate. Any thoughts on either of those decisions?

Attachments

• IMG_9385.jpg
    IMG_9385.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9388.jpg
    IMG_9388.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9389.jpg
    IMG_9389.jpg
    773.5 KB · Views: 48
I love your pool! They did a great job with your skimmer openings. Exposed aggregate is uncomfortable to walk on with pool-softeners feet. I’d get vriajed concrete but check out @PoolGate ‘s pool. I think it’s his that has curved or organic lines on the decking which makes a big difference.

Quartz is a nice and smooth finish. We have tinted plain plaster. I hope to get 20 years out of ours because I maintain it well.

I love your pool! They did a great job with your skimmer openings. Exposed aggregate is uncomfortable to walk on with pool-softeners feet. I’d get vriajed concrete but check out @PoolGate ‘s pool. I think it’s his that has curved or organic lines on the decking which makes a big difference.

Quartz is a nice and smooth finish. We have tinted plain plaster. I hope to get 20 years out of ours because I maintain it well.

Thanks! I love your pool too- looks like we have similar taste in tile/coping/shape! Thanks for the advice about the aggregate. I noticed your pool is 3' in the shallow end too- I guess it's too late to change anything at this point, but what are your thoughts on that depth?

Man you had artists with big saws working on that tile and coping!! That tile in the skimmer says it all!

You can and should go ahead and test your house water to get an idea what it is like. I know you may not use it to fill the pool but I bet you will use it to top the pool off so..............BUT do not bother testing for CYA. You will not have any. It has to be added!

Kim:kim:

Man you had artists with big saws working on that tile and coping!! That tile in the skimmer says it all!

You can and should go ahead and test your house water to get an idea what it is like. I know you may not use it to fill the pool but I bet you will use it to top the pool off so..............BUT do not bother testing for CYA. You will not have any. It has to be added!

Thanks! It was a one man show for both tile and coping. He was awesome! Glad we’re not the only ones impressed by his work.

I’ll try to test house water tomorrow- assuming I have time to watch some videos on how to test first.

I will share what helps me with the pH test---------I have a white, plastic plate I hold up behind the tube. I do my tests under my 60w bulb in my stove hood. I hold the plate behind the tube at about shoulder height. I then pull the plate back and forth behind the tube until I find the purrfect color match. Sometimes it might fall between two colors and that is okay!

The other tests are easy in that once the color changes you are done.

FC test-if you let the test sit after doing it the water may turn back to pink. Don't worry about it. Once it clears WHILE you are doing the test you are done.

TA-the water will flash a quick change but go back. Keep adding the drops until the color holds.

I hope this helps!

We only use the pH part of that small box. The color match FC test is really more of a "yep there is FC in the water" kind of test. The power/drop test for FC is much better. Use the 10mm FC test to save your regents.

So now we know your pH is low but that is VERY easy to fix. Throw some kids in and let them splash!! LOL aeration pushes the pH up. You can turn your returns up so they roll the water. Waterfalls, overflows, etc also work.

You will also need to retest the CH. Even my well water has some CH in it. If it is really 0 then you will need to add some right away.

Reactions: KaiBee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.