Positioning of Skimmer and Return Jets

RagsBKK

Jan 26, 2019
Thailand
Just finalising the details for my 8.3m x 4m x 1.3m saltwater skimmer type pool with concrete steps to one side (plan attached with new pool deck area shown in yellow), and I'd greatly appreciate the forum's thoughts on the best positions for the skimmers, drains and return jets. We are based in Thailand just in case the warmer climate makes a difference!

I was initially thinking of having a floor drain (or maybe two??) and two skimmer boxes with the return jets angled to create clockwise water flow. Concerned about water movement around the steps so will probably add an extra jet there as well, but despite a lot of searching (and conflicting info) I am really lost on where best to position everything. The pool is sheltered by the house and a boundary wall so I am not able to position the skimmers downwind as I have seen mentioned elsewhere.

Any thoughts on the best arrangement, and any benefit to having the return jets at the bottom of the pool rather than the top due to the hot climate? All constructive comments or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks guys!

RagsBKK

Attachments

• BP5 Pool Basic Layout.jpg
    BP5 Pool Basic Layout.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 36
Latest thinking shown in the attached sketch. I was hoping that the two floor drains and the second skimmer would improve the water circulation and help with keeping the pool clean, even though the water volume suggests one skimmer should suffice - is this approach actually worthwhile?

I have shown the proposed jets and their direction on the updated sketch - any comments on these? Presumably these jets would be near the surface, but is there any benefit in adding some more jets at the bottom of the wall to improve circulation throughout the entire depth of the pool and not just on the surface?

Attachments

• BP5 Pool Basic Layout - 2 skimmer 5 jets.png
    BP5 Pool Basic Layout - 2 skimmer 5 jets.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 50
Rags,
Welcome to TFP... Your return lines, what you call jets, look just fine. They are placed about 10" or so below the normal water level, which is the middle of the skimmer.

You generally do not add skimmers side by side. When you have two skimmers you usually put one where the prevailing wind blows the most debris and the other where the non-prevailing wind would push the debris..

I would suggest adding the skimmer where you have the bottom right Jet in your pic..

Some old pools only have one or two returns and no operating main drain and they work just fine.. Why are you so concerned about "circulation" :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim

Many thanks for the welcome and for your comments.

The concern about circulation just came from reading too many differing articles online and struggling to understand the best arrangement. My potential pool contractor initially proposed the attached layout with all 4 jets at one end (2 eyeballs facing down and 2 along the surface) and locating one skimmer at the other end. I then read that it is better to create an efficient circular water flow in the pool to clean the surface and avoid dead spots, plus I read that additional skimmers could sometimes help.

I also had some feedback from a member in another local pool forum that the pool contractor's arrangement was good for this size of pool, except that they recommended flipping the system - placing all the return jets at the other end (further away from the pool pump room with the skimmer and main drain closer to the pool pump room) plus adding a return jet on the stairs pointing towards the skimmer.

What are your views on the attached arrangement (or the flipped version with jets at the other end) - is my earlier layout overkill for such a small pool?

Rags

Attachments

• BP5 Pool Contractor Layout.png
    BP5 Pool Contractor Layout.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 31
Rags,

I am on the side of the circular flow idea... If my pool builder said he wanted to put them at one end... I'd be looking for a new pool builder. :)

Are you worried about circulation because of a temperature issue or a chemical distribution issue or ????

The only time I can think of where circulation might be an issue, is if you had a deep pool you were trying to heat... I suspect that is not the case in Thailand. I have been there and cold was never a problem.. :laughblue:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.