Gold Supporter
May 20, 2018
SE, Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I needed to drain about three inches of water from my pool this morning after a big rain last night. I plugged the portable pump in and it ran for about 15 seconds and stopped. I tried it about 10 times and it would just shut off. I have had my pool for 22 years and I seem to have to replace the utility pump every other year or so. I buy these pumps from Lowe’s usually They cost around $130 bucks a pop. Are they disposable or am I just not having good luck with them. Today’s brand was “Utility” some of the others have been other names but I just don’t have good luck with any of them. I leave them in a bucket with holes on the steps over the winter to drain excess water out over the winter season. Is this normal for them to not last very long?

I think I have had better luck then you with submersible pumps. I buy the types without a float switch for around $65. And I don't leave it in the pool all winter. I use it to drain water off my solid cover and drop it into the pool when the water level is getting high.

I more find all the plastic in the pump is fragile and can't stand one drop onto the deck. I bust them before they get a chance to fail on their own.

I have tried most of the pumps listed in Submersible Pumps - Further Reading

I had the Lowe’s pump and the cord was basically a short extension cord with a funny / proprietary end on the pump side. It died a few seasons in and removing the top nut the cord popped right out and was gunked up at the connection. Cleaning it fixed it for a season or two. The next time the nut was loose and a half turn was all it took. This year the cord was frayed internally at the plug and it would only work if I bent it a certain way so I pitched it.

Even if you always use the metal handle thingie the plug is bound to take some stress. See if it’s an easy fix. (y)

I have a Harbor Freight dirty water pump that keep chugging along. It's in a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of holes to limit the amount of debris when pumping off the cover. Also I rarely leave it on the cover for more than I need it for. It does mover 1500 gallons an hour I think, so I rarely need to run it more than a hour. it's probably 7 years old now

Reactions: Newdude
I am also searching for a new utility pump. I had a Craftsman Professional pump that was bought in 1968. It failed in 1995 and Sears replaced it for free because it had a lifetime warranty. That pump has now failed but unfortunately it is no longer available.

Hearing that the new ones only last a short time is not encouraging.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.