Gold Supporter
May 20, 2018
Southeast, Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I needed to drain about three inches of water from my pool this morning after a big rain last night. I plugged the portable pump in and it ran for about 15 seconds and stopped. I tried it about 10 times and it would just shut off. I have had my pool for 22 years and I seem to have to replace the utility pump every other year or so. I buy these pumps from Lowe’s usually They cost around $130 bucks a pop. Are they disposable or am I just not having good luck with them. Today’s brand was “Utility” some of the others have been other names but I just don’t have good luck with any of them. I leave them in a bucket with holes on the steps over the winter to drain excess water out over the winter season. Is this normal for them to not last very long?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I think I have had better luck then you with submersible pumps. I buy the types without a float switch for around $65. And I don't leave it in the pool all winter. I use it to drain water off my solid cover and drop it into the pool when the water level is getting high.

I more find all the plastic in the pump is fragile and can't stand one drop onto the deck. I bust them before they get a chance to fail on their own.

I have tried most of the pumps listed in Submersible Pumps - Further Reading

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
I had the Lowe’s pump and the cord was basically a short extension cord with a funny / proprietary end on the pump side. It died a few seasons in and removing the top nut the cord popped right out and was gunked up at the connection. Cleaning it fixed it for a season or two. The next time the nut was loose and a half turn was all it took. This year the cord was frayed internally at the plug and it would only work if I bent it a certain way so I pitched it.

Even if you always use the metal handle thingie the plug is bound to take some stress. See if it’s an easy fix. (y)

Bill1974

Jun 18, 2014
Hauppauge, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Harbor Freight dirty water pump that keep chugging along. It's in a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of holes to limit the amount of debris when pumping off the cover. Also I rarely leave it on the cover for more than I need it for. It does mover 1500 gallons an hour I think, so I rarely need to run it more than a hour. it's probably 7 years old now

Reactions: Newdude

JWLuke

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2018
Southeast, Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thanks for all the replies. I might have to go to Harbor Freight to see what they have. Can’t hurt.

rjb1211

Jul 29, 2017
Harrisburg
I am also searching for a new utility pump. I had a Craftsman Professional pump that was bought in 1968. It failed in 1995 and Sears replaced it for free because it had a lifetime warranty. That pump has now failed but unfortunately it is no longer available.

Hearing that the new ones only last a short time is not encouraging.