Portable Pump Is Not Priming

Mar 21, 2016
texas
I have a regular 1.5hp pool pump that I want to utilize as a vacuum. It's spewing more water than it's sucking in. It's just not priming. I have tried a bunch of things including shoving a running hose down it, filling the basket, closing and then shoving the garden hose up it while holding it in water, then lowering it to various levels and still it's not priming. What am I doing wrong or what else can I try?

Here is the setup glued in, including the flex hose cuff.

233.jpg

Replaced the 2.5" outlet with yep sink P-trap, screwed into the inside threads, added a check valve & a restriction - see pic below. Also check impeller for debris, etc and it's clean. Same result - didn't prime even after a bunch of tries. Also tried same setup prior to adding the check valve with the same no-joy result.

5.jpg

I think you need to neck the output down by attaching a garden hose to create sufficient back pressure. Also, how far above the water level is the pump?

you need at least 10 pounds of pressure and that is creating 0 pressure... my pump primes at 17 PSI...

Added a 2 in. end cap, drilled a 1/18" hole to help create back pressure. I thought this would be enough but it's still not priming. This pump was running a 16ga pool just fine. Was removed since warranty decided to replace everything. My flex hose is intact, and it still works great with my regular pool pump. The pump is at the about the same level with pool water or within 5". Pool water level is at roughly the same level as the dirt where the pump is positioned in pic 2. I still want to make this work, any more ideas guys?

16.jpg
17.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Put a valve on the output side and close it. ON the drain of the basket or pump install a little valve. Then use a pipe adapter to garden hose. Use your hose to prime the pump. Once you get it going you can open the output valve a bit for pressure relief and then you can pump as you need. Then shut off basket valve and disconnect water hose. In the process industry we often have to do this, all be it on a larger scale. Do not dead head the pump for too long (60 seconds) as you do not want to eat up the seals.

This always works if your pump impeller is good and seals are not sucking air profusely.

Reactions: jayinc11
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.