Poor Skimming Action

FloopFloopian

Jun 15, 2020
Las Vegas
Hey,

I've got this pool, run purely on in floor cleaning and a leaf trapper. Below my skimmer is an equalization port. There are two main drains but can be controlled at the pad. With the pump pulling strictly from the "skimmer", the skimmer is only effective above 2800rpm. Below that, virtually nothing. I've dumped a diverter valve in there but that unfortunately makes things worse (correct flap position, just think it restricts more water). On lower speeds, everything works great, there's no flow issues (granted the floor cleaning system doesn't work) but the skimmer doesn't skim, and I'm guessing all the water is being pulled from this equalization port. Is plugging this thing up an option to fix this? I'd like to run this thing on lower rpms and still skim, like all previous pools I've had.

F,

Equalization ports do not work unless the water falls below the level of the skimmer... At least that is how mine work... For me, they are basically worthless..

My skimmers work great at 1200 RPM..

You really don't need a lot "action" for the skimmer to work.. It just needs a operating weir door and in my opinion, wall returns, rather than in-floor returns.

Do your skimmers have operating weir doors??

Thanks,

Jim R.

F,

Equalization ports do not work unless the water falls below the level of the skimmer... At least that is how mine work... For me, they are basically worthless..

My skimmers work great at 1200 RPM..

You really don't need a lot "action" for the skimmer to work.. It just needs a operating weir door and in my opinion, wall returns, rather than in-floor returns.

Do your skimmers have operating weir doors??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes there is a weir door. The water does not start flowing over the door until a much higher rpm. Nothing gets pulled into the skimmer and the basket just kind of floats around like the pump was off. I was thinking maybe most of the suction was from the port...but maybe not. Not sure what is going on. The pump is getting water just fine though.

...and yes, I miss my old pool that had wall returns. There are two returns, one to the leaf trapper venturi thing, and to the ultraflex.

Yes there is a weir door. The water does not start flowing over the door until a much higher rpm. Nothing gets pulled into the skimmer and the basket just kind of floats around like the pump was off. I was thinking maybe most of the suction was from the port...but maybe not. Not sure what is going on. The pump is getting water just fine though.

...and yes, I miss my old pool that had wall returns. There are two returns, one to the leaf trapper venturi thing, and to the ultraflex.

I have one of those doors than can be moved around a bit with spring loaded pads. Maybe it's too high?

F,

Show us some pics of your pump's input valves... If the pump runs fine and the skimmers don't have much flow, the water has to come from somewhere... ???

The pool water should be right in the middle of the weir door.. Actually, skimming works best the lower the water is, and worse the higher the water is.. The only problem with running with low water is that if you are not careful the water may fall below the skimmer mouth.

Thanks,

Jim R.

F,

Show us some pics of your pump's input valves... If the pump runs fine and the skimmers don't have much flow, the water has to come from somewhere... ???

The pool water should be right in the middle of the weir door.. Actually, skimming works best the lower the water is, and worse the higher the water is.. The only problem with running with low water is that if you are not careful the water may fall below the skimmer mouth.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yeah, so I just went out there and pushed the door down a little bit (it is being pulled downward, just not enough, currently at 1700rpm) and it does what a skimmer should do, but when I let go, it goes up just enough to make the skimming ineffective. Water level is halfway.

Here's an older picture of my suction, currently the skimmer valve is the same and the main drain is 90 degrees from what is pictured (off). Pretty basic.

Attachments

• Suction.jpg
    Suction.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 11
F,

Well, I was hoping that you were sucking all your water from the main drain and not much from the skimmer, but it sounds like that is not the case..

Are we 100% sure the labels are correct?

I guess you could add a little weight to the weir door or try to remove some foam...

Jim R,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.