Pool won't hold FC - Algae in full bloom

CH is 50 (just checked it).

Spent about 3 hours flushing trash out of the sand filter. LOTS of debris in there!

CYA dissolving now.

Adding a pic of the filter while it was flushing. NASTY! Pic doesn't do it justice!

Attachments

• IMG_3588 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3588 - Copy.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 60
chem geek said:
The only way the CYA can get to zero that quickly without a water change is if the chlorine level went to zero for too long at which point bacteria can consume the CYA. When this happens, it can sometimes result in ammonia which creates a huge chlorine demand while other times it can result in nitrogen gas which does not create any unusual chlorine demand...

Sounds like you might have had ammonia, and the chlorine may still be burning it off. You need to test and add chlorine every hour, or as often as possible to maintain slam level. This will take care of both the remaining ammonia and the algae.

Good job on the sand filter. That should speed up the clearing of the cloudiness. Don't rest on your laurels, though--keep monitoring the FC level and add chlorine regularly to make sure you beat this thing.

Quick update - Pool just would NOT respond to any of the usual treatments. Water has been in there a LOOONG time and upon close inspection had quite a bit of debris suspended in it. Flocc wouldn't knock it down. Soooo.... I blindly vacuumed to waste (I knew there was a lot of dead algae on the bottom even though I couldn't see the bottom). Then I began a water change. So far (in three stages) I've replaced about 5 feet of the water. Of course, now that water is completely untreated, so I'm basically starting over. That is some expensive water being pumped into the drainage ditch!

Any special tips to keep in mind as I bring the new water up to par?

I've changed out about 80% of the water and the pool is clear but green. Here are my baseline results of my pool now with mostly fresh fill water.

9/7 - 1500
FC - .5
PH - 8.4
CC - 0
CYA - 0
CH - 40
TA - 310 (flashed red at 240 but didn't stay red till 310)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.