Pool water won't clear after 9 days

Desire5292

Apr 30, 2019
Sylvan Springs, Alabama
So, after lots of searching I finally found liquid chlorine and started to SLAM last Wednesday. The pool almost immediately turned a cloudy blue. Now, 9 days later, it's still the same cloudy blue with bits of algae floating. We brush daily (sometimes several times), I backwash the filter every few hours, and I just bought a new pump (that's actually why we opened so late, we had to get a pump). Constantly cleaning algae out of the skimmer as it fills up and clogs. Now here are the things I'm worried might be causing a problem but I'm too uneducated to know for sure:
First of all, is it possible the new pump isn't working as well as the old one? I know it's a Waterway, 1.5 hp...I can get more info off of it if necessary. Old one is still in my signature.
Second, I ran out of the chlorine testing powder in my TF-100 kit so I've been using the daily test (which only tests up to 5 ) and guessing at what the FC level is. I think my guesses are fairly accurate and I'm aiming on the high side for how much chlorine to add. I do have a refill on the way!
Third, I don't know if my filter is working properly? It's a sand filter and the sand was changed three years ago. I was thinking it didn't need to be changed yet but someone suggested that might be the problem.
And FINALLY, we didn't close the pool at all over the winter. Considered getting rid of it and had a new baby and all kinds of excuses... ? So it just never got done and it was a big green swamp when I started. That may be the whole problem in itself and I just have to keep doing what I'm doing? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting chlorine by doing something wrong! I'm now 18 gallons into it and no change. The ladder is also still in there so I think that may be a problem eventually, but surely it wouldn't cause the whole pool to stay cloudy and greenish?
Sorry I have so many questions. I've looked around on here to try to get some tips without having to ask a bunch of dumb questions ? but it's not getting any better! I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!!!

Guessing what the FC level is will not work. Need to get refills. If you FC is way too high you are damaging your liner. If too low, the SLAM could take all summer.

Your filter pressure needs to rise by 25% over clean pressure before you backwash. That will help filter out more fine material. Sand never needs changing unless clumped up with pool store potions. A deep clean may be in order though.

how were you chlorinating last year
what is your current cya level
I used liquid chlorine last year. It's just much harder to find this year. Current CYA is halfway between 20-30. Not sure if I'm supposed to round up or down? I've added enough to bring it to 45 (total, not that I want it that high but I keep trying to raise it where it needs to be). Not sure where it's going.

Guessing what the FC level is will not work. Need to get refills. If you FC is way too high you are damaging your liner. If too low, the SLAM could take all summer.

Your filter pressure needs to rise by 25% over clean pressure before you backwash. That will help filter out more fine material. Sand never needs changing unless clumped up with pool store potions. A deep clean may be in order though.

Thank you! So until my refills come, what should I do? Add small amounts of chlorine or just leave it alone?

Take the amount of chlorine you used for the last 24 hours and add that much each day in a few does until you get your reagent refills.

Your CYA is rounded up. If you have been backwashing as often as you said, your CYA level will be going down.

Also, you could try deep cleaning the sand filter. That has helped some others get from cloudy to clear much faster.

Thanks, y'all, for your help! I think I'm going to try deep cleaning the filter. I do have another question and may need to start a new thread?? I tried researching this but it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this exact problem. Last year the filter started leaking a little water from the backwash port even in the "filter" setting. I basically just let it go because it would stop after a few seconds and I had several other issues to deal with on the pool. This year it's been doing it a little more but I can usually get it to stop by changing it to another setting and then back (with the pump off, of course). That's why I haven't even bothered asking about it. But now I just realized that when it's on "backwash", water is being sucked in through the skimmer and some dirty water is going back into the pool through the return. It's also pouring out the backwash port as well so it took a bit to realize something's not right. We just put it in a new pump. Could that be part of the problem? Or is it just a major leak? I'm so confused! ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! Any idea where I can find one locally or do you generally have to order something like that?

I have no idea what is available in your area. It is not an item big box stores carry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.