Pool water very unlevel

Sherrileigh

Jun 16, 2020
Mississippi
We ordered a 24 foot round pool. Ground was on a slop and had to be dug out. We paid someone to put this pool up for us who supposedly knew what they were doing. Obviously they did not. My water level is off by about 5 and a half inches. Skimmer and return has already been installed. I have called around to installer around me to see if they can fix this. And unfortunately they are booked up till August or September. And say i will need a brand new liner. And I am finding that most places are out of stock. One installer said to backfill the dirt and put up a wooden deck all the way around, as this will keep the pressure from blowouts. We I can get someone to do this as early as tomorrow. Theyvwere originally going to be installing a retainer wall and patio. But they said they are not sure that will be structurally sound. I really don't want to wait till September to have this fixed. And I have lost all trust in the original company. Does this option sound safe.

Welcome Sherri. Im sorry but it does not sound safe. It sound more dangerous actually because when the pool explodes it could bury someone in the backfill or crush them with a flying deck section.

Reactions: Sherrileigh
I was afraid of that. Do you know if i would definitely have to get a new liner. Or if it might be ok to keep it full till I can get another installer to fix it in September.It is a brand new liner. But they did screw in the skimmer. And with covid it seems hard to find one. I guess i would have to drain it and start all over. The people we had install it said they would just drain it and put blocks under the feet to raise the side up. And at this point I have no faith in them to even finish hooking up the pump.They did not even stretch the liner correctly.

Attachments

• 20200616_182805.jpg
    20200616_182805.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 114
Hmm, well I'm no expert. But 5.5" definately seems way too much from all I've read. If it wasn't, well, 5.5" was actually my rough measurement of slope on my unmodified pool site, so I wouldn't have paid someone to level it if I thought it was fine.

I have a different pool, a soft sided Intex, so I'm doing the install myself, but paying someone to level. They were actually out today, and funny that @Newdude should call me, as I have a question as to whether it's actually level or not. It's probably an optical illusion and they actually got it level (they used a transit), but I'm going to verify.

That's a long way of saying I'm going to build a water level which will check the level of my pool site before I put up the pool, and I'd be happy to link you to a post with pictures when I get that built (I'm thinking tomorrow evening). You could make one and double check the level on the site for whoever re-levels your pool area before the pool is put up for the second time.

Sorry you're going through this...this sucks.

Thank you, yeah we have decided to drain it and get a new liner, and this time do it ourselves, after we pay someone to relevel it. It sucks we paid someone so much just to have to redo it. Hopefully we can get our money back from that company But I guess lesson learned. Definitely link me to the link for how to go behind and check if they leveled it properly. I appreciate it.

You ARE doing the right thing in taking it down :( I am SO sorry this happened.

Now take pictures of everything! See those bolts showing? Those should be UNDER the upright........that is above ground pool 101 and they did not even get that right.

THEN tell them what a bad job they did and demand your money. Put this in writing and send in by certified mail! Tell them you will take them to small claims court if they do not return your money. They may NOT have another chance to mess up another liner either!

Talk to @jesyfer3 about how to make a water level like he is talking about. He is a very smart, sweet person that can walk you through it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm sorry your installer was incompetent. These pools come with detailed instructions for installation and it would appear they never read them. Take lots of pictures before taking down the pool. The liner can be patched and new skimmer and return openings cut, if you are unable to find a new liner right away. I would include cost of a replacement liner in your demand letter. Go on the pool maker's website and see if you can get a copy of their installation instructions. It will be helpful for the re-install and evidence for the demand letter if it comes down to that. There are some very good pool install videos on youtube. This is one

Yeah they definitely were incompetent. We have cameras that point to the pool. After going back and watching them I am even more mad. We rented a backhoe tractor to do the majority of the leveling during the time we had to close our business because of covid. And could take out time to do it right But going back to working 70 hours a week left us to feel better hiring someone to finish. So it was pretty close to start. But for some reason the guy dug down the far side, realized he went to deep and backfilled it in with new dirt. He never put footers down. And did not even attempt to compress the dirt other than walk on it. Also the instructions are still in the plastic bag. Never even opened. Or taking out of the box.

As of right now we have we are draining it to take it down and re level it all. I found a new liner which should be here by the 20th. And thankfully the company we had coming out to do the retaining wall, patio and a deck are willing to do the leveling for us. And are not upset that they can not start the other stuff right away.

I really appreciate all the help. And want to thank everyone of you.If not for this forum I probably would of went with very unsafe ways of doing this. If anyone has any other advice please do not hesitate to tell me.

We definitely will be. Between the price I payed them to install, cost of new liner, more leveling and not even adding in the cost of wasted water. We are out right at $1700. Thankfully the person we have comeing to re level is only charging us $100 to do it since he will already be doing so much work here already, and will have the machines already here because of that.

Reactions: zea3
When they re-level explain to them that the base needs to be compacted. You CAN put a pool on fill - everybody says you cannot, and that is very good advice, and should be followed, but truth is that you can, but it is not something for a homeowner, or even a good pool installer to do. To do so you would have to compact whatever soil is placed, and then verify that it has been compacted t a point where it will no settle anymore. To do that requires running compaction curves on the soil, and then running a proctor test on the compacted soil (or using a nuclear soil densometer if you are licensed to use one) to ensure it has been compacted enough. This is not something that is done with a jumping jack or small rental vibratory plate (and definitely not a hand tamper) It is done for buildings all of the time, but not for backyard pools. However, since your video footage shows that the original installers dug too deep, and then just piled the dirt back in, you are stuck with what you have to work with. Unless you want to excavate the area more, to get down to undisturbed soil, that area where they dug too deep is going to need to be compacted. Luckily, your pool is currently doing some of that already. Have your new crew run a heavy vibratory plate over the area after you get it leveled.

The new person said he would feel more confident about taking all extra dirt down farther. And extending the retainer wall up more. Kinda like this picture. But on the one side we will have a deck instead of patio. I do know the new guy that will be doing this for us now is extremely professional as we have already had a deck and patio done by him a couple years ago. But does not do pool installs. It has turned into alot more than we wanted to spend. But hopefully when all said and done it will be my little piece of paradise.

Attachments

• 20200617_163824.jpg
    20200617_163824.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Casey
The new person said he would feel more confident about taking all extra dirt down farther. And extending the retainer wall up more. Kinda like this picture. But on the one side we will have a deck instead of patio. I do know the new guy that will be doing this for us now is extremely professional as we have already had a deck and patio done by him a couple years ago. But does not do pool installs. It has turned into alot more than we wanted to spend. But hopefully when all said and done it will be my little piece of paradise.

Good for them, knowing their limitation and what they are equipped to do (and not do). Digging down is preferable to trying to correct what some other person did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.