Pool Water Balancing

KCD

Apr 9, 2021
Clinton, MD
I'm doing a "what if" evaluation for the upcoming season and need the expertise of the board members. Your inputs are appreciated.
When adding 56 oz of 20 Mule Team Borax to raise the pH from 7.2 to 7.6, how much will the TA (60) and CH (70) levels increase?
When adding 12 lbs of baking soda to raise the TA from 60 to 100, how much will the pH (7.6) and CH (70) levels increase?
When adding 33 lbs of calcium chloride to raise the CH from 70 to 250, how much will the pH (7.6) increase?
When adding 5 lbs of stabilizer to raise the CYA from 0 to 30, how much will TA and pH decrease?

Hey KC !!! Open up the poolmath app or download it (free) if you haven’t already. If you are new you need to set up your pool profile so it knows what you got.

on the main page of the app click the ‘hamburger’ menu in the upper left corner. Select ‘effects of adding’ and go buck wild until your heart is content. :)

Reactions: KCD
I found another answer on the app: adding 5 lbs of solid stabilizer will decrease the pH by 0.6, which is most significant by far and will probably result in adding a pH reducer.

That leaves four unanswered by the app; but they should have negligible impact; so, pH will not change significantly by adding 33 lbs of calcium chloride, and neither will CH by adding 56 oz of borax, 12 pounds of baking soda, and 5 lbs of CYA.

My bad, decrease in pH by 0.6 will likely result in needing to add more borax to increase pH.
Not likely. Normal amounts of stabilizer addition will rarely drop the pH below 7. And most pools have a TA of greater than 50 ppm and thus the pH will recover quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a TA of 100, a few hours to a day or two if you have any aeration (including wind). And a pH of 7.1 is fine. No reason to use chemicals to intervene.

Reactions: KCD and Newdude
My understanding is that solid CYA (sock in a skimmer) takes days to dissolve, so I am assuming there is enough time for aeration to maintain safe pH levels as the CYA level is being raised from 0 to 30.

It can take a while. Squeezing the sock once it has been in the water for a few hours will speed the process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.