Nuhi.Zhuta

Mar 22, 2021
Angier, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Background info: I had a pretty bad storm early this morning. A lot of runoff dirt and debris has gone into my pool during the storm. I am currently skimming what is floating on top, vacuuming the pool, and intermittently backwashing the sand filter (to both clean out the filter and to empty water out, as I need to drain about an inch out). Finally, per my profile, I am a new home owner and new to the pool ownership arena. Attached photos inludes one from yesterday, one from a short while ago.

My question is, should I wait to retest my pool water, and if so, how long? I tested it yesterday, but with the storm I want to see where my chemical levels are, so I can adjust as needed. I am not sure if there is a settle in period that I should wait before I start testing.

Also, should I just go ahead and initiate a shock dose, or wait until I get results? I’m not sure if I should immediately start addressing the runoff organic material.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• 0B1AD61D-15E7-41DD-847C-B963C29B2B1C.jpeg
    0B1AD61D-15E7-41DD-847C-B963C29B2B1C.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 35
  • 97AE6FF0-0188-4038-A0D7-5AA39A65287B.jpeg
    97AE6FF0-0188-4038-A0D7-5AA39A65287B.jpeg
    759.9 KB · Views: 35
Sorry to hear about your pool. I’m riding through NC right now and in between the storms. Your main focus is getting your FC up to SLAM level. You need to perform the SLAM Process. It is important to properly follow the process. Your mention of shock suggests you are not familiar with our approach. Regular self-testing and adding only what your pool needs. You don’t need to perform what people call shock. A SLAM is continuous high chlorine until the water is crystal clear, .5 or less CC and you pass the OCLT, all spelled out in the article. Right now you need gallons of bleach to get you started. Can’t say how many, but several.

You are on the right track by backwashing your sand filter. Wait until it rises 25% above the clean pressure. And keep running the robot non-stop, only removing to rinse the cartridges and empty the basket.

Focus on the SLAM first, then once things clear up, you can address other chemicals as needed. BUT be sure to adjust pH before you start the SLAM, as the pH test is not valid with FC levels above 10.

Welcome to the forum!
It would be wise to add liquid chlorine up to SLAM level, based on your CYA level.
Dirt will be filtered out over time. With a sand filter, it will take some time, but be patient.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Sorry to hear about your pool. I’m riding through NC right now and in between the storms. Your main focus is getting your FC up to SLAM level. You need to perform the SLAM Process. It is important to properly follow the process. Your mention of shock suggests you are not familiar with our approach. Regular self-testing and adding only what your pool needs. You don’t need to perform what people call shock. A SLAM is continuous high chlorine until the water is crystal clear, .5 or less CC and you pass the OCLT, all spelled out in the article. Right now you need gallons of bleach to get you started. Can’t say how many, but several.

You are on the right track by backwashing your sand filter. Wait until it rises 25% above the clean pressure. And keep running the robot non-stop, only removing to rinse the cartridges and empty the basket.

Focus on the SLAM first, then once things clear up, you can address other chemicals as needed. BUT be sure to adjust pH before you start the SLAM, as the pH test is not valid with FC levels above 10.
You’re right, I haven’t read that yet, because there was no need until now. Thanks for the input!

bmoreswim, thanks for the recommendation. The pool clarity has noticeably improved since yesterday. I’m sure I’ve got a ways to go, but I think I’m on the right glide path.

Glad you have showing progress on the clarity. Post up any questions as you proceed. And of course a crystal clear water photo at the end!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.