Aug 3, 2021
Franklin Square, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Guys,

I am a new owner and got the pool installed last year. It is Saltwater 8000 and I use Frog Pool stuff to maintain water.

I have two questions.
1) should I use 6mil plastic with or without tape in vertical position before putting rocks to prevent wall corrosion
2) I noticed wall paint crumbling. Is this normal?

Looking for some guidance.

Attachments

• PXL_20220522_001157226.jpg
    PXL_20220522_001157226.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20220522_001148314.jpg
    PXL_20220522_001148314.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 51
1. do not put anything on the walls. It can hold moisture and cause more harm than good. I used bigger rocks for by the pool walls as they helped keep the smaller rocks from rolling to the wall.

2. that looks like the beginning of rust :( I am sorry to say.

1. do not put anything on the walls. It can hold moisture and cause more harm than good. I used bigger rocks for by the pool walls as they helped keep the smaller rocks from rolling to the wall.

2. that looks like the beginning of rust :( I am sorry to say.
Thank you for responding quickly. Can you please share pic of your pool landscaping. So I can see what you did? I'll reach out to the people I purchased to see what they can do. It's literally less than 1 year old

I will see if I have one handy. Until then I will use words. I got many bags of white marble rocks. I opened and dumped them out by the pool. I pulled out all of the bigger rocks and hand placed them by the bottom track. Then I was able to use the hard rake to move the other rocks into place without worry of them touching the pool wall. The bigger rocks make a kind of "wall" to keep them out.

I will see if I have one handy. Until then I will use words. I got many bags of white marble rocks. I opened and dumped them out by the pool. I pulled out all of the bigger rocks and hand placed them by the bottom track. Then I was able to use the hard rake to move the other rocks into place without worry of them touching the pool wall. The bigger rocks make a kind of "wall" to keep them out.
Did you use landscaping edging or something that digs into ground or no dig edging?

Wow after only one season. That is unfortunate. I am also curious the best way to manage this. My current pool definite landscape fabric and marble rocks/ or pea gravel I’m not sure. Not but small sized mostly.

What is the correct way to do this? It seems at some level dirt will touch the wall or track. I’m assuming you put fabric down as close to the walls as possible to use the rocks to divert water away from it.

Wow after only one season. That is unfortunate. I am also curious the best way to manage this. My current pool definite landscape fabric and marble rocks/ or pea gravel I’m not sure. Not but small sized mostly.

What is the correct way to do this? It seems at some level dirt will touch the wall or track. I’m assuming you put fabric down as close to the walls as possible to use the rocks to divert water away from it.
I am currently evaluating. I was told not to put plastic or fabric that can stay wet or cause moisture to trap. I am thinking of lawn edging that will meet the track. So there will be an inch of empty space. I may get dig edging and dig it to 2 inch high and put small rocks toward the front and big rocks toward the back not sure what to fill that gap with.

Reactions: Decoy205

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am currently evaluating. I was told not to put plastic or fabric that can stay wet or cause moisture to trap. I am thinking of lawn edging that will meet the track. So there will be an inch of empty space. I may get dig edging and dig it to 2 inch high and put small rocks toward the front and big rocks toward the back not sure what to fill that gap with.

Hey, just wanted to share.. i made a slope as follow w/ Dirt on the bottom and Sand on the top. My dirt reaches the channel, then i did thin layer of Sand on the top. I did not put no fabric or any protection toward the pool wall. I then layered 1-2 inch thick small river rocks (yellow) from Lowes. Note - This is not a pea gravel and pool landscape is fine, also confirmed with the local pool shop.

@kimkats and others - I need a suggestion. So as you know my wall was rusting. Pool Reseller told me to sand down the wall and prime it and spray the paint on top. They mailed me a spray of epoxy paint. I did this. On the other hand he advised me to open the claim with the pool manufacturer. They reviewed my claim and agree to send me a replacement for $725 freight shipping. Should i take it? Looking for some suggestions.

Lets weigh this out. You WILL Need a new liner. We are 0% of anyone being able to reuse a liner once it is cut.

So much will a new liner AND wall cost? Are they going to help with the new liner cost?

How much does a brand new pool your size cost? minus the equipment since yours is good.

If I was in that situation I certainly wouldn't be doing a warranty over some surface rust yet. Read the warranty and see how much it decreases per year etc and make a decision about when it's best to do the replacement.

The liner won't be cheap and it might not even be easy to get right now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.