Pool Tool Zinc Anode for a Skimmer Basket weight? Ok? Bad for pool?

nikolausp

Gold Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Houston, TX
It seems like a rock would serve the weight purpose for less $$.
There are plenty of discussions on here about sacrificial anodes & the general concensus is that for one to be remotely useful for a pool it would need to be quite large among other things such as correct placement/ composition, & even then its mostly a placebo effect.
Are you concerned with corrosion?
Maintaining Recommended Levels is the 1st & best way to address/ prevent problems.

Reactions: setsailsoon
My goal is to weight down my skimmer baskets, and I like the idea of being able to zip tie that zinc thing to the bottom. I don't care about any thing other than that, and I also don't care about the cost, vs using Rocks.

I'm interested in knowing if that Zinc Anode Weight could harm my pool in any way, by having them in the skimmer baskets.

My goal is to weight down my skimmer baskets, and I like the idea of being able to zip tie that zinc thing to the bottom. I don't care about any thing other than that, and I also don't care about the cost, vs using Rocks.

I'm interested in knowing if that Zinc Anode Weight could harm my pool in any way, by having them in the skimmer baskets.
I'm not sure if the zinc would do anything or not. I just picked up some Stainless Steel washers at Lowes and used those. I was an over achiever and used Stainless Steel bolts to hold them in place. Never thought of zip ties....

Reactions: Mdragger88
On one of my old baskets, I zip tied a rock (so the rock would not accidently get thrown out with debris). Then I had one of my other baskets (that had its own weight on the bottom from the factory) break, so I took that weight off and zip tied that to my basket (and removed the rock). I now only purchase baskets with weights built into them (when I need to replace a basket due to cracks, etc.)
See link of similar basket I use and just keep the weight if the basket becomes damaged over time.
Aladdin B-9 Replacement Basket for SP1070E08650-0007and 70-828-915 | Leslie's Pool Supplies
(sorry to reference to Leslie's but they do have a decent basket with a weight)

I'm looking for something to zip tie to my baskets that is not a risk to my pool.

Is the Zinc Weight I linked in the 1st post in this thread, a bad option for my pool? Will I risk something bad? (I'm new to having a pool, and am trying to learn).

Is there anybody that knows about this that can answer? Should I not have this Zinc weight in my pool to weight down my 2 Skimmer Baskets? (see link, I'll post it again)

+1 to JamesW’s answer. I would not put zinc in my basket. So thats a no from me.

An alternative for an inert weight would be glass marbles in a plastic mesh bag.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, zinc will not stain your pool. It has been used for years. See this article: https://www.poolspanews.com/facilities/maintenance/solving-stains_o
If you just want the weight, a large rock is a good alternative. A better one is a Val-Pak basket for your brand of skimmer. They are very heavy, have an enclosed weight and last "forever." The one in my pool is over 15 years old and I'm not particularly gentle with it.

2¢.
- Don't tie anything to your skimmer basket. It'll just snag goop and tiny leaves and hair, etc., which you'll then have to pick out. Yuck.
- Don't weigh it down with anything smaller than the suction port below it, so that nothing can get inadvertently sucked into the pump, or stuck in your pipes. That's just asking for trouble.

All you need is a plain ol' skimmer basket with a handle. It takes very little weight to counteract the floatation of a plastic skimmer basket, which the handle provides. Plus, you get a nice handle that won't interfere with the collection or removal of gunk. One with a stainless steel handle solves for any staining possibilities. This is waaaay simpler than you're making it out. They're about $10 or less, likely cheaper than your anode idea. So don't try to "fix" your skimmer basket, just buy a new one.

images.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: borjis
PS. To answer your question, sacrificial anodes are designed to corrode faster than any other metal in your pool. They "dissolve" by their very nature and purpose. The material does not magically dissipate or evaporate. It ends up in your pool or the water or plumbing or filter. Since it serves no real purpose in a typical pool environment, and in your case isn't even being used for its intended purpose, then it's fair to conclude it's not the right tool for the job.

2¢.
- Don't tie anything to your skimmer basket. It'll just snag goop and tiny leaves and hair, etc., which you'll then have to pick out. Yuck.
- Don't weigh it down with anything smaller than the suction port below it, so that nothing can get inadvertently sucked into the pump, or stuck in your pipes. That's just asking for trouble.

All you need is a plain ol' skimmer basket with a handle. It takes very little weight to counteract the floatation of a plastic skimmer basket, which the handle provides. Plus, you get a nice handle that won't interfere with the collection or removal of gunk. One with a stainless steel handle solves for any staining possibilities. This is waaaay simpler than you're making it out. They're about $10 or less, likely cheaper than your anode idea. So don't try to "fix" your skimmer basket, just buy a new one.

View attachment 172635

Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it!

Reactions: Dirk
Another option that allows for more flow if you tend to have a lot of debris in your pool. It tends to be a little heavier and it has that handle for easier removal.
1610399396440.png1610399396440.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.