Nashville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hello, I’m noticing my pool temp reading is wildly inaccurate. Woke up to a 94 degree reading but now it’s back down to a more accurate 46 degrees. Is the flow sensor the culprit or should I be looking for something else? See pics

Attachments

• B432A920-0B4F-48C5-B386-F553641E1B96.jpeg
    B432A920-0B4F-48C5-B386-F553641E1B96.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 10
  • E1A8F5BC-30A5-4136-9676-B81D3CADCB54.jpeg
    E1A8F5BC-30A5-4136-9676-B81D3CADCB54.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 10
There should be a sensor clamped to the pipe with a wire going to the automation box.

Is there anything that could be heating the water when the pump is off?

Is the sensor in the sun?

Is the heater trying to run while the pump is off?

2807-39.jpg

Last edited:
Was your pump running when you saw the 94 temperature?

The temperature sensor is typically mounted in a hole drilled into the PVC pipe and then secured with a band clamp around the pipe and sensor.

Reactions: jbird0215
Thank you both. I found it I think. The pump was running. In fact, it only shows the pool temp while the pump is running. It’s positioned near the heater but the heater is turned off. I do have a tarp covering the equipment as an added measure against freezing temps. Could the tarp be playing tricks on the sensor? I do have a thermometer in the pool to know water temps, so I may just keep an eye on it. If it continues to act up, should I just replace with a new one?

Attachments

• 6AF83DE8-6DAF-4417-AE2B-DA50D56905A0.jpeg
    6AF83DE8-6DAF-4417-AE2B-DA50D56905A0.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 21
It looks like the wire was cut and spliced back together. Check the splice to make sure that it's OK.

The sensor is easy to replace. Remove the clamp and pull out the sensor. Insert the new sensor and clamp in place. Connect the sensor wires where the original wires are connected.

I would get a new one on order and have it ready to go when you need it.

Is the sensor before or after the heater.

What cut the temperature sensor wire?

It looks like maybe a booster pump was sitting on the wire and maybe cut the wire?

The wire you are referencing is actually coming from the heater. Perhaps it is the temp sensor for the heater. It is not cut and spliced but rather the covering is coming off and I simply used some electrical tape so the wires aren’t exposed. There’s probably a better way but at least wanted to provide some protection to the wire. There was a booster pump there and it probably contributed to the covering damage. The temp sensor is immediately before the heater.

I’ll get another one on order and at the ready. I removed some unnecessary equipment from the pad a couple of weeks ago so feel comfortable replacing the sensor. Many thanks

It looks like the wire was cut and spliced back together. Check the splice to make sure that it's OK.

The sensor is easy to replace. Remove the clamp and pull out the sensor. Insert the new sensor and clamp in place. Connect the sensor wires where the original wires are connected.

I would get a new one on order and have it ready to go when you need it.

Is the sensor before or after the heater.

What cut the temperature sensor wire?

It looks like maybe a booster pump was sitting on the wire and maybe cut the wire?

The wire you are referencing is actually coming from the heater. Perhaps it is the temp sensor for the heater.
It's probably the wire that the automation uses to tell the heater to turn on and off.

I would plan on replacing the sensor as it has become questionable.

Sometimes the system will come with an extra sensor for solar. Maybe check your spare parts box for an extra sensor.

Note that the sensor is the same type that is used for the air temperature. You should see an air temperature sensor somewhere near the box.

Don’t think I have an extra sensor but will definitely check. And I found the air sensor near the panel. Thanks for all the clarification.

A new one is on order.

It's probably the wire that the automation uses to tell the heater to turn on and off.

I would plan on replacing the sensor as it has become questionable.

Sometimes the system will come with an extra sensor for solar. Maybe check your spare parts box for an extra sensor.

Note that the sensor is the same type that is used for the air temperature. You should see an air temperature sensor somewhere near the box.

Reactions: JamesW
Sidebar... The air temp sensor should be in the shade and out of the wind. Mine was originally near my automation controller box, and it was reading all sorts of wacky temps. I moved it up under the roof eves and it's now very accurate... If yours gets any sunlight it won't give you good temps.

Good to know, thanks Dirk. The panel faces south with big trees and bushes all around. I don’t think it gets much direct sun but will keep an eye out as the weather warms.

Sidebar... The air temp sensor should be in the shade and out of the wind. Mine was originally near my automation controller box, and it was reading all sorts of wacky temps. I moved it up under the roof eves and it's now very accurate... If yours gets any sunlight it won't give you good temps.

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.