pool temp reads Err and salt cell seems dead but there is a nick in cord and I want to know if that is issue causing this

william13

Gold Supporter
Oct 1, 2022
south florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi my name is bill and I am a newbee
I have a Hayward Aqua Pro Logic system
The other day my pool person told me there was "no flow" and the cell was dead.
So I replaced the flow switch successfully and now there is flow
The cell seems dead as it says low salt 0000ppm and also the pool temp reads "ERR"
The cord to the cell appears nicked as someone closed the controller door on it.
I am wondering if this is a cord issue or cell issue.
I was reading pinout information on this forum and I see there are salt sensing and pool temp sensing wires in that cord
My plan is (if this makes sense) is to bare the area of the cord that is nicked and inspect continuity and splice if needed.
I know the connector has 10 pins but only 6 are used but I am not sure exactly which is pin 1 or pin 2 is it on the left or right ?

Addendum: Looking closely at the nick in the wire: I peeled the coating back and only the red wire is crushed.
When I place my multimeter on the exposed wire and the other lead on the plug itself it looks like it has direct continuity to Pin 5 ie 3rd one down on left. The resistance between 6 and 10 is 9.6K ( 3rd and 5th down on right holding the plug that the cord is down and facing the connectors)
Shouldnt the red go to pin 6 ie not pin 5

Below is information from this site

"Holding the plug vertically with the cord going down and looking at the connection points. 1 is top left, 2 is top right, 3 is second down left and so on with 9 being lower left and 10 being lower right.[48]

• 1) Black - Power to cell
  • 2) White - Power to cell
  • 3) Black - Power to cell
  • 4) White - Power to cell
  • 5) Brown - Not used
  • 6) Red - Goes to thermistor
  • 7) Orange - Not used
  • 8) Yellow - Not used
  • 9) Green - Not used
  • 10) Blue - Goes to thermistor.
To test the thermistor test between points 6 and 10 using a multimeter, the resistance should follow a 10k thermistor chart."

Last edited:
You sure you have not confused pins 5 on the left with pin 6 on the right?

@JamesW

Hayward_T-Cell_Cable_Pinout.jpg

Thank you for your interest. Yes I am postive I did not confuse. Its the 3rd connector down on the left that has continuity with the red wire.
It will be hard to show you. Again This connector has continuity to what I believe is pin 5 not pin 6. additionally to confuse things a little more 6 and 10 roughly have 10k resistance which would have been expected for the thermister. Could the pinout above be for a different cell. Mine is a Hayward T15

Attachments

• IMG_3083.jpg
    IMG_3083.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3084.jpg
    IMG_3084.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4
I think that the new cells have some sort of Tag that is read to prevent non-Hayward cells from working with the new Hayward Automation.

6 and 10 should be the resistor and the other two are probably the ID tag.

Can you show the cell label?

Does the cell part number start with W3?

Wow you are absolutely right. I should do one of those color blind tests (on myself). It looked like a faded red to me but as you can see and as you suggested it is not red it is brown. On the opened wire we can see the red lurking in the background. So it appears all white and black wires and red and blue are intact. Only Brown pin 5 is damaged but maintains conntinuity with the plug connector. Also I learned the pool water temp error is from the fact temp sensor was not replaced when my filter was recently changed. So now the only thing I can think of why I get the check cell error and the chlorinator off is that the cell is dead or dirty.

Attachments

• IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 6
3E17234 means 3 year warranty made on the 234th day of 2017, which makes it about 5 years old, which is about how long they last.

Your system has a cell temperature sensor and a water temperature sensor.

Check your diagnostics and reverse polarity and report all diagnostic readings.

1664660984238.png

Below is the cell temperature, voltage, current and salinity.
1664661202340.png
Below is the water temperature sensor, which is a separate sensor on the pipe.

1664661254181.png

The temp sensor is internal to the Hayward cell. It is not independently replaceable.

Sorry for the blurred pictures.
Am I to understand that with replacement of cell the pool temperature might work again. Are there 2 ways for water temp to be measured ie 1. sensor in cell and 2. separate sensor connected to the green molex?

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 68627169340__21DA5DAF-841C-4009-87AA-95E7FC63C35C.jpg
    68627169340__21DA5DAF-841C-4009-87AA-95E7FC63C35C.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cell temp is connected through the cell cord.

The water temp sensor is connected to the upper left of the board.

I see. For a minute I thought they were same. I am going t assume at this point I have a dead cell. I was choosing between a Hayward plain t15 and a 940. Any sig diff?
BTW if the water sensor is simply not connected (lying on ground from last repair), would data on cell be affected?

Last edited:
I see. For a minute I thought they were same. I am going t assume at this point I have a dead cell. I was choosing between a Hayward plain t15 and a 940. Any sig diff?

The 940 is an extended life cell that Hayward claims has 740 hours of generating life versus the T-15s 580 hours.
BTW if the water sensor is simply not connected (lying on ground from last repair), would data on cell be affected?

Well it will not be reading water temperature if lying on the ground. It should be strapped into the pipe.

The 940 is an extended life cell that Hayward claims has 740 hours of generating life versus the T-15s 580 hours.

Well it will not be reading water temperature if lying on the ground. It should be strapped into the pipe.
I am being to loose with my questions: What I meant to say is would it mimic a dead cell?

A defective water temperature sensor has no effect on cell operation.

That is why the cell has its own temperature sensor so it can operate independently.

A defective water temperature sensor has no effect on cell operation.

That is why the cell has its own temperature sensor so it can operate independently.
Got it, probably dead cell
BTW what is the best tool to unscrew pvc union from cell, tomorrow I will inspect cell before burying it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.