Pool temp and SLAM

JenF75

Jul 12, 2017
Stouffville, ON, Canada
We’re in the process of opening our pool, but it’s really not swimming weather yet. I’m planning on doing a SLAM, but hoping not to heat the pool until the weather warms up a bit. Is there a minimum water temperature for SLAMing? Our pool temp is sitting around 55 degrees right now.

55 is plenty for a SLAM. That's around the temp that plant life gets fairly active. It will work even lower, but takes longer. Main thing is brushing to disturb any algae that has protected itself with biofilm.

I'm now questioning if I really need to SLAM.

Pool opening testing (I haven't added anything to the water yet)
FC 8
CC 0
pH 8.0
TA 100
CYA 50
CH 325

I know I have to lower the pH a bit and I'll also try and bring the CYA up to between 70-80, but is there really anything else I need to do? I hate SLAM'ing (it's tedious), so I'm thinking if it's not necassary, why do it? But on the other hand, I have time because no one will be swimming for at least another week, so if it's best to do one on opening, I will. Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.