Pool Temp and Opening

This stuff is a major PITA. I heated the water to 70 and still barely dissolving. At this rate it will take a week. I was thinking of putting it in a bucket of hot water but probably get super saturated in a hurry. Might try that if no additional progress is made by tomorrow. One bag I have in front of the return and another I put in the skimmer.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I was thinking of putting it in a bucket of hot water but probably get super saturated in a hurry.
I tried it in a 20 gal Rubbermaid storage tub full of hot water. The water got a tiny bit cloudy and 99.999% stayed in the CYA clump, which became a brick overnight.

It needs the water movement with a constant fresh supply.

I tried it in a 20 gal Rubbermaid storage tub full of hot water. The water got a tiny bit cloudy and 99.999% stayed in the CYA clump, which became a brick overnight.

It needs the water movement with a constant fresh supply.

I will skip for sure then. This morning it looks like around 80% of it dissolved overnight. Both the skimmer bag and the bag hanging in front of the return. I am getting a CYA reading of around 50 now too so much happier.

Reactions: Newdude
I'm confused by this. Why are you waiting til 60 to open? Isn't it better to open when the water is colder? My water isn't 60 even in Mid may.

I'm confused by this. Why are you waiting til 60 to open? Isn't it better to open when the water is colder? My water isn't 60 even in Mid may.

My pool water temp is in the low 50's and has been open for about 2 weeks.

I like to get it open and see what needs fixing so when it warms up it is ready for swimming.

My pool water temp is in the low 50's and has been open for about 2 weeks.

I like to get it open and see what needs fixing so when it warms up it is ready for swimming.
ok good! We are considering always opening late April but the water will definitely be 40-50 degrees at that time. I love the idea of seeing the pool earlier.

Opening below 60 is what TFP recommends. My pool was right in the upper 50's all that week and barely got to 60. After I opened, the temp dropped back into the 50s. And this is what I do each year. For some reason, this year it seems lots of people got early algae. Not sure why.

Just a reminder for opening that if you open based on pool temperature instead of an arbitrary date, you won't open to a swamp. I open when the temp is above 60. It is currently hovering around 50. I figure 2-3 more weeks and I will open.

Swimming Pool Summer GIF by SPRITE Australia and New Zealand
I opened super early this year (middle of March), especially for living in the Midwest. At opening, my water was 56 degrees and crystal clear after removing my solid cover. I guess I should note that I also close as late as I can get away with, but even with the pool not being warm enough to swim for a couple months, it’s nice knowing that I won’t have to deal with a big bowl of pea soup. It’s also nicer to look at than a covered pool. 😆 I totally understand why some people choose to open months later than I do, though. I just do what I’m comfortable with. 🤓

Reactions: Wolfepack88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This stuff is a major PITA. I heated the water to 70 and still barely dissolving. At this rate it will take a week. I was thinking of putting it in a bucket of hot water but probably get super saturated in a hurry. Might try that if no additional progress is made by tomorrow. One bag I have in front of the return and another I put in the skimmer.
PITA indeed!!!!! I am going to get lectured for this one, but I’m so impatient with the sock method and it taking forever to dissolve (and then I have to wait even longer before I can test it), so I go ahead and use dichlor since it is pretty much instant AND I obviously test my CYA and pH beforehand. I make sure the pH isn’t too low and put all my results into PoolMath and use dichlor as my chlorinating method until I get my CYA where I want it to be and keep a close eye on the pH (I use borates and it it stays pretty stable). After I get my CYA where I want it, I let the FC get back down to acceptable range and go back to liquid chlorine. I know dichlor doesn’t get much love on here, but if you like instant CYA gratification, it gets the job done. 😬

Oh, or you could buy liquid stabilizer but it’s so expensive and it didn’t work for me when I tried it. Probably a bad batch. Meh. CYA is annoying lol

Last edited:
Mine is not dissolving at all on its own. What kind do you have? Mine dissolves great in warm water but in cold it only seems to do anything when I squeeze it. It says 98% cyanuric acid.

View attachment 566075
Is that Robelle brand stabilizer? That stuff is slower than Moses!!!! By far the LONGEST wait to dissolve out of every stabilizer I’ve ever tried.

PITA indeed!!!!! I am going to get lectured for this one, but I’m so impatient with the sock method and it taking forever to dissolve (and then I have to wait even longer before I can test it), so I go ahead and use dichlor since it is pretty much instant AND I obviously test my CYA and pH beforehand. I make sure the pH isn’t too low and put all my results into PoolMath and use dichlor as my chlorinating method until I get my CYA where I want it to be and keep a close eye on the pH (I use borates and it it stays pretty stable). After I get my CYA where I want it, I let the FC get back down to acceptable range and go back to liquid chlorine. I know dichlor doesn’t get much love on here, but if you like instant CYA gratification, it gets the job done. 😬

Oh, or you could buy liquid stabilizer but it’s so expensive and it didn’t work for me when I tried it. Probably a bad batch. Meh. CYA is annoying lol
I think you meant trichlor ?

I think you meant trichlor ?
Nope! Trichlor are the pucks. They take a lot longer to dissolve. I’m talking about dichlor granules. Both are stabilized chlorine products, but dichlor will increase CYA much faster. Just make sure to brush really good after adding it to your water!

Last edited:
This is what I keep stashed away for when I need to increase my CYA fast.
I just poolmathed and I need 20 buckets to get my CYA to SWG levels. :poke: :ROFLMAO:
I am going to get lectured for this one,
Quite the contrary. You know exactly where you are, and exactly how you will get to exactly where you want to be.

:salut:

Carry on.

• Haha
I just poolmathed and I need 20 buckets to get my CYA to SWG levels. :poke: :ROFLMAO:

Quite the contrary. You know exactly where you are, and exactly how you will get to exactly where you want to be.

:salut:

Carry on.
You would be surprised how many people immediately stop reading after I say “dichlor.” LOL!! It’s like they see that word and instead of reading further, they start doing this….

Cat Reaction GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support