Pool super cloudy with FC = 30, CC = 1.5! Any ideas..PH seems off the chart...

AB

Jan 18, 2011
Houston, TX
Hi, pool has gotten super murky/cloudy with the temperatures dropping. All other parameters are good:
TA = 100
CYA = 60
FC = 30 / CC = 1.5
CH = 250

PH I can't tell - on the little plastic reader it shows up "reddish" which makes me think it is higher than 8.2, definitely not on the 'yellow' end of PH..

Any ideas? The PH issue I can't figure out, but just dumped 36 oz of muriatic acid in the pool and still PH shows up red.

Thanks!

If your FC is above 10 ppm, the pH test is invalid and no adjustments to your pH should be made.
I suggest you follow the SLAM Process
You should let the FC drop to below 10 ppm and then test and adjust your pH prior to the SLAM.

With a CC of 1.5 ppm that indicates some algae or bacteria in your water. Which is most likely why it is cloudy. I live in Katy and my water is crystal clear at 65 deg F. and my CC is 0.0 As Marty indicated best to do a SLAM and as part of that to perform an Overnight Chlorine Lost Test Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Adding the MA did not hurt it as you want a lower pH before you SLAM however don't let your TA drop too low.

Check the FC daily. Once at 10 ppm (should go pretty quick with the cloudy water) check pH, adjust, and then start the SLAM.

Ok checked today...FC at 35 (yikes!) CC at 1.0. Took the chlorinator out as one had suggested. PH still "red" - unable to tell how much higher than 8.2 it is.
Should I add more muriatic to bring down the PH say 0.3-04?? Or just brush the pool and wait a day?

I would wait until your FC comes down so you can get an accurate test, vs just blindly adding acid.

What type of chlorine was in the chlorinator? Assuming it was trichlor tabs, those are acidic and have been adding acid all along and your pH is likely not as high as you think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Target a pH of 7.6 from a level of 8 using Pool math. You need your TA level to get a proper result.

Let that circulate for 30 minutes or so and retest. Repeat until your pH reads under 7.8. Then adjust to 7.2 and SLAM.

ok, after the muriatic PH was down to 7.5. So I started the SLAM process. With CYA at 80 it says I need 24 FC. I have raised FC up to 21 so far, but ph is now back up to "red" region - e.g. greater than 8.2.
Should I use muriatic while SLAMming? Or disregard PH entirely until FC is at 24?
Pool is still the pea green soup color it has been ever since I started the process...kinda disappointed.

SLAM level FC for a CYA of 80 ppm is 31 ppm.

Your pH will read high at FC levels above 10 ppm. No need to test for anything but FC during the SLAM Process

Reactions: AB
With CYA at 80 it says I need 24 FC. I have raised FC up to 21 so far, but ph is now back up to "red" region - e.g. greater than 8.2.
If CYA is 60, the SLAM FC is 24. If CYA is 80 then SLAM FC is 31. Also, you have to maintain the FC at this level. Don't let it drift drastically low or it just adds time to your process. If you can test every 3-5 hrs during the day to keep the FC up to recommended levels would help the process.

ok got it up to FC=31 today! Will monitor in 4 hrs! Still green as can be but time to trust in the process!!! Thanks to all for continually supporting my questions and learning!!!
Good thing is cc went down from .5 to .25...

after 2 bottles of chlorine FC is at 56. Didnt mean to go so high but hopefully this will kill the cc=.25 that is making the pool green. How many days should I keep it at 31?

Follow the SLAM Process step by step with no short cuts. Test your FC a few times a day and maintain Fc of 31 until the pool meets the three exit criteria.

You are done when:
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.