Pool suddenly cloudy overnight

When you get the new o-rings make sure to use lube made for them on them. My guess is you could have lubed your old o-rings and they would have worked but lets start with the new ones. You can buy it at Lowes or the pool store.

kimkats,

Thanks. Re. lube, we thought we had some but looks like we don't now :(.. The o-rings (I got o-rings for both the pot cover and for the drain plug, just in case) are supposed to get here tomorrow (Sunday, here), so what kind of lube do we need from Lowes? Is it something special for pools?

FYI, I just got new powder and reagent for the Taylor kit and did a quick late measurement (it's like 6:45 PM here) and FC and TC was about 6.4 (32 drops). But, it's drizzling/raining again :(!!!

BTW, I know that I haven't been too great providing data. I guess that we've had this pool so long and it hasn't required much attention (then again, we don't use it much either, since our kids are all grown up now), so I haven't had to do these things for a long time, so thanks to you all for all of the patience!!

Jim

Hi,

Tested this morning (Taylor K-2006):

FC: ~6.5
CC: ~0 (** CORRECTED - it's the part where add R-0003 after the FC test - did not turn pink)

So FC/CC hasn't changed much in last couple of days (maybe down 1).

Water is crystal clear :)!!

I did the diluted CYA test and got ~50 (it was below 50 on the tube) before the dot disappeared, so that would be somewhere below 100, I think (2 x 50), which is in line with the pool store test we did on 7/4/2019, which was 90).

I tried the calculator and I think it is saying we need to replace like 50% of the water. I'm not sure what we are/can do about that, but, FYI, honestly, I don't know if we are willing to do that... that would be like 14000 gallons!!

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: Correct the CC above

Last edited:
So your CYA is 100? I would be wary of that, you’d have to keep your FC very high for it to be effective with that level of CYA. You may want to do some of the replacement to bring it down, or you will have a hard time avoiding an eventual algae bloom.

CYA does break down over time but slowly, like 5-10 PPM per month, and if you have splashout / backwash removing water and add fresh water it will drop slightly too, so if you want you could try to keep the chlorine up with liquid chlorine only and wait a few months. You might get lucky and get no algae bloom, and then as CYA slowly drops you could keep the chlorine more in check. Up to you!

You could also see about diverting some rain water off the roof into your pool to help dilute the water that way.

Do you have high water rates where you live? Is that your worry about replacing that much water?

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could also see about diverting some rain water off the roof into your pool to help dilute the water that way.

Do you have high water rates where you live? Is that your worry about replacing that much water?

I guess it is relative, but yes, I *think* our water rates are quite high here. For example, when we topped off the pool at opening this year our water bill was > $300 (for 3 months) vs. like $70 for normal 3 months, plus that $300 was WITH a 1-time-a-year discount that we get because we have a pool. The other thing is we would have to be careful about dumping so much water out, as our county is very strict about that here (due to environmental concerns).

So your CYA is 100? I would be wary of that, you’d have to keep your FC very high for it to be effective with that level of CYA. You may want to do some of the replacement to bring it down, or you will have a hard time avoiding an eventual algae bloom.

CYA does break down over time but slowly, like 5-10 PPM per month, and if you have splashout / backwash removing water and add fresh water it will drop slightly too, so if you want you could try to keep the chlorine up with liquid chlorine only and wait a few months. You might get lucky and get no algae bloom, and then as CYA slowly drops you could keep the chlorine more in check. Up to you!

I'll discuss that (stop using the tabs and go to liquid chlorine).

water bill was > $300 (for 3 months) vs. like $70 for normal 3 months, plus that $300 was WITH a 1-time-a-year discount
OUCH!!! Yeah we need to find a way for you to harvest rain water!!! Share a pic from the back of the pool looking towards the house. We might be able to come up with some ideas how to set it up where it does not look too bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.