Pool still green after shock

May 22, 2019
phenix city, AL
I have an above ground pool that is 22’ by 52” with a salt water sand filter. I went out of town for a week and when I can home I seen that my pump tripped out and the pool is green. I threw 3 pounds of Trichlor shock and allowed the filter to run continuously for two days and nothing happened. I now have added 12 pounds of Trichlor shock and still nothing is happening and color is still green.

I took a sample to the local pool store and they say all levels are good and to shock it again.

I am lost as to why after adding so much shock it is still green??

also, after I add shock how long should it take to return to blue?

Sorry to say this, but the pool store testing and numerous bags of chock are not helping. In fact, each bag is increasing your stabilizer (CYA) level which will only make things worse. You need to use liquid pool chlorine (or regular bleach) and follow the SLAM Process to remove algae. Short of draining your pool, the SLAM will work. Make sure you have your own TF-100 (Link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit to do it.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Sorry to say this, but the pool store testing and numerous bags of chock are not helping. In fact, each bag is increasing your stabilizer (CYA) level which will only make things worse. You need to use liquid pool chlorine (or regular bleach) and follow the SLAM Process to remove algae. Short of draining your pool, the SLAM will work. Make sure you have your own TF-100 (Link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit to do it.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thank you, I will read up on the slam process and order a test kit. Thank you once again

Reactions: Texas Splash
I'm estimating your pool to be what, about 12,000 gallons? If I'm way off let me know. But I used the PoolMath webpage to calculate how much chlorine to change FC. I know that in a 12K gallon pool, one gallon of 10% chlorine increase the FC by 8 ppm. So that may help give you an idea of its effect on water. But you need one of those kits to test everything before trying the SLAM Process. We don't want you to guess or damage your liner by adding chemicals in the wrong manner. Let us know if you have more questions though.

I'm estimating your pool to be what, about 12,000 gallons? If I'm way off let me know. But I used the PoolMath webpage to calculate how much chlorine to change FC. I know that in a 12K gallon pool, one gallon of 10% chlorine increase the FC by 8 ppm. So that may help give you an idea of its effect on water. But you need one of those kits to test everything before trying the SLAM Process. We don't want you to guess or damage your liner by adding chemicals in the wrong manner. Let us know if you have more questions though.
Thank you

I ordered my Taylor test kit but I had a friend who come by today and tested my pool water and he says the chlorine level is 35ppm, cya is 55 ppm, ph is 7.2

not sure why the pool is still green

once I get my kit I can do the slam process if need be. Any other suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.