Pool still cloudy

You're very close. I'd vac or brush as often as you can, keep FC topped off, backwash at 25% over clean PSI, and really make sure you understand the TFP way of adding DE and when to backwash. You can post how much you think you should add, how fast you should add it, when you should check the psi and then of course, don't forget to backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse, then filter - turning pump off before all switches, turning in same direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Vinyl pools did not have to worry about CH I thought?

Correct - only concern in vinyl pool is calcium scaling index (CSI) on pool math - but you only have to check that a couple times a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - thought for the future, I wonder if you should allow the FC drop below 10 before the party so you can quickly ensure/adjust ph 7.2-7.8, then immediately bring back up to shock fc. Experts?

Our cover blew off over the winter and shredded... plus we did not close the pool properly and had a warm stretch in February, so we opened a green swamp in May. Did the SLAM and got the white milky/cloudy water like you. Maintained the SLAM for about two weeks, ran the filter constantly. The water was improving but verrrrrrry slowly. We did switch out the underpowered Intex cartridge filter for a much larger sand filter and that seemed to speed things along considerably. We don't have a vacuum, so we brushed and net-skimmed everything we could get out. It was impossible to see where debris was, so we did the blind sweeps. The water is now clear, and all that work paid off! It will happen for you too, keep up the good work!! Thanks to this site, our investment was limited to purchasing liquid chlorine and nothing else!! THANK YOU, TFP!!! P.S. Going to get a GOOD cover for winter and close properly so we don't have to do this ALL AGAIN next year!! :p

Congrats on taming your swamp jennascopmom! Thank you also for encouraging Noobpool.

One of my swamps was on an undersized sand filter too. i opened it up and did a deep clean and everything. It just was slow. It took over a month, but I took that 3 yr old swamp from nearly black with inches of leaves, sticks, and even a bicycle and deck chair to sparkling crystal clear - using TFP. If I could do it over again - I would have added DE or CF on the second day that solidly murky blue didn't show much photo improvement. I would have done as many additions/backwash/rinse/backwash/rinse and repeat as I could have a day. Whatever I would have spent on DE/CF, water, bleach, and replacement stabilizer would have been worth it to not have to SLAM for the extra weeks. Luckily, Noob's pool was not left to simmer for 3 years in a location that gets crazy wind with insane amounts of pollen and dinner plate sized leaves.

Let chlorine drop and tonight it was finally down to below 10ppm FC. So here is updated tests. Cya is kinda rough just because time of testing had to use indoor light so I will be retesting that one. CC test did not ever pick when I added the 5 drops of reagent TA oddly dropped a lot and ph dropped just a little. Almost 7.2 but not quite 7.4 so I split the difference
8c8474efe767196adf5594de335bea3c.jpg

:Edit:

Pool is clear and easy to see. When looking at the water it still looks like some particulate is floating in it but definitely better. I need to follow the DE process to see if I can use that to clear it up that last little bit.

personally, i'd keep FC up around 10-16 until i was done with de, but if the extra expense is an imposition, I think you could go with staying in the target range as long as you're not losing more than 4ppm a day or there is any haze in water or you fail an OCLT or anything. Any of those would mandate a SLAM immediately to stop it from getting worse. Your numbers look good to me though. Just don't let that FC out of the target range for long, and never below min. When in doubt, bleach it out.

None about pool chemistry or anything like that. I do wonder if there is something I can use to clean my stairs since below the water line it appears to be a slightly different color. Other than that I am ecstatic about how my pool is looking.(it looks better than it did when we bought the house. We thought the water looked wonderful then)
b357141e5cb372f917ab3330dcc43c82.jpg
473e28fc69842f429cd336bf89d213d5.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the pic. I do not know what it is. My guess is organic staining from pollen and leaves sitting for long periods of time and my solution is the same as pool school's. Try the magic eraser, if that doesn't work, make sure it isn't metal staining - this thread (and lots of others) cover the testing/fixing as well. If magic eraser and vitamins don't fix it, we'll invite mods/experts into the thread and see if they advise the elevated FC, jack's step stuff, or another path.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.