Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
It seems my builder has overlooked the sanitization of the spa when the pool cover is engaged. I have a single Jandy pump (RS Link) system (not salt) that operates the spa and pool. When filtering the spa, it's designed to overflow into the pool via the spillway. With the autocover engaged, that's not possible. What options do I have to ensure the spa stays clean?

While they're working on it, one of the tech's suggested a floater, but that's not ideal. Should I be requesting a tablet feeder for the spa plumbing?

Tablet feeders are just like floaters - they add unwanted chemicals to your pool. Either CYA or calcium will come along with the chlorine; unlike chlorine, CYA and calcium do not leave except by replacing water.

Can you adjust your valves to remove water from the spa via a drain?

You mentioned non-salt so how are you sanitizing your pool/spa normally? Are you using Liquid Chlorine? It appears you wish to use the spa with the cover over the pool in place. In SPA mode you normally do not flow into the pool as it should just circulate the spa. It sounds like your inline chlorinator (I am making an assumption that you have that) is only on your returns when in POOL Mode. I would always go with a floater as that is constant chlorine in your spa vs. an inline chlorinator which only puts chlorine in when flowing but also requires you to set the dial plus there is possible leak in top over time, etc. Floaters are so much easier if you have to go with a different infusion. Although you are adding some CYA over time, that is better and can be handled in a small body of water by draining it rather than dumping it to your pool. Also making some assumptions on spa size and that you can dump the spa water and refill.

It's a brand new pool, so I haven't made any changes yet. Currently, we're doing new pool startup by the pool company, but I'm afraid to admit on here that I have ozone/UV-C plus a tablet feeder (I started reading these forums after go-live). I'm currently researching liquid pumps since the pool company invalidates the warranty with salt. Correct, the sanitizer is only on the pool return lines and not the spa ones and it's a small spa - 6'x6'.

It nearly seems like there should be a flap to open up in the spillover that allows the water to go straight down behind the track instead of over the spillover.

Hey, we all do different ways of sanitizing so ask whatever you need. Not sure I understand why does your PB invalidate the warranty if you use salt? Did they give you an explanation? If you use liquid chlorine you will be also adding salt (not as much as you add for a SWCG pool but it is still salt).
I would go with a floater for your spa if you have your pool covered. That way you can enjoy the spa, just test it daily to ensure you have sufficient FC. You probably don't need to add many pucks for just the spa.

Also, Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is as that will help with any questions you post in the future. Also post some pictures of your equipment pad and pool to help with any points you have.

When filtering the spa, it's designed to overflow into the pool via the spillway. With the autocover engaged, that's not possible.
Why not? I assume the spa is level with the pool. It will still spill into the pool with the cover closed. Mine does. But I have a "make up" line which returns water to the spa when in pool mode. So my spa is always getting fresh water and it's always spilling into the pool whether the autocover is open or closed. Is your pool & plumbing already complete? If not, consider adding a make up line.

Can you just set your automation to switch to spa mode once a day and filter the spa by itself for a few hours? You should be able to isolate the spa circulation and not need the spillover on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post pics of your pool and spa setup as well as your equipment pad and valves so we can understand what you have and give you better suggestions.

The immediate fix is pour a bit of liquid chlorine into the spa every day and mix the water with your pool brush until you have a better fix.

Why is your spa empty?

What controls your cover opening and closing?

Really would had been easier dealing with this before construction.

Yes, I agree - should have done more forum reading & posting!!

It was empty in that picture because the PB was fixing a leak in the plaster around the drain. I'm really hoping that's somewhat common...

For the pool cover, there's a momentary switch on the deck. For legal/safety reasons (in CA anyway), it cannot be automated. and cannot be an auto-shutoff switch. Jandy stopped selling the integration b/w Cover-Pools and Aqualink that determined open/close status because it failed so often. That would have at least provided some insurance against flooding the pool cover from the spa.

I really don't see any other solution than to replace the spillover with the weir design that the cover person suggested -- convert the spillover into a drain that empties behind the track & below the pool cover & add coping on top of that similar to a skimmer.

In order to correct the pb's original mistake of having a spillover from the spa onto the pool cover, we agreed to add an overflow drain from the spa to the pool (below the pool cover) - getting rid of the spillover.

Turning on spillover mode (Aqualink), however, overwhelms the drains. The tech called Jandy and was told that he had it on the lowest setting possible.

His solution was to disable spillover mode & divert a small amount of water from the pool returns through the spa, and now we have the leaky toilet sound! Aside from the sound, I'm not sure if there's enough flow to flush out/sanitize the spa.

Any Jandy Aqualink RS6 experts out there have a better solution for lowering the water volume to flush the spa?

IMG_1217.JPEG

Attachments

• leakytoiletspa.zip
    4 MB · Views: 3
I would recommend adjusting your return valve so that when in pool mode there is still a small amount of water being returned to the spa. By adjusting the cam position should should be able to find a setting that keeps the water moving but doesn't overwhelm your drain.

Reactions: xcellent
You should be able to find a speed on your VS pump in SPILLOVER mode that has a flow low enough to not overwhelm the drain.

Do you have iAqualink?

@PoolGate

It should be a fairly trivial matter to assign a speed to that action within Aqualink. "Lowest setting" doesn't make sense you can set it wherever you want there is no "lowest setting". Are you familiar with the Aqualink web setup screens?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.