Pool Solar Cover - Thoughts on a Swing Armed Rocky Reel?

Swampwoman

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Hi all.
As some of you may know, I've recently started using a solar cover on my grecian in ground due to a new dome and winter operation. (See this link: Anyone Have a Winter Pool Dome - Ameridome or Others? )

My success in reduced heating bills has motivated me to get serious about finding a good alternative way to cover in season that is more lasting than my in-water PVC rig I made. I want to find an easy way to just cover at night, and my footprint plus dome footprint are each tight.

I talked to Rockys Reels because I want something easy for 1 person to open/close -- am looking at the commercial 4 crank 4" reel for strength.

Because of my crazy foot print, we've scratched our heads for ways to do this.

My options are to install on a steel pivot and swing to side, or have a shorter reel with 2 end flaps to fold in.

I welcome any thoughts. Here's a diagram - rockys has worked out how to do this but they're musing about the weight on swing and maintaining integrity.
I've removed the side ladder and will leave it out so that if I do the instal I can get a 20' run on the side...do in their diagram, ignore the ladder marking.

In the bottom pic, you can see the far wall where I'd be locating either the swing or "too short" parallel bar. The cut corner means I can't go whole length, and there are dome anchors in the corner to work around.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Ok, an idea jumped in my head. We better use it while it's there! :)

What if you had 2 covers and 2 reels. I think you already have your cover cut in half lengthwise. You could do a shorter swinging reel that rolls up a cover that is 60%-ish of the width and then a regular cover reel by the diving board that rolls up the 40%.

Lol Patrick...its would appear the answer is no ;) - But I bought this foreclosure because I was pretty sure it would "entertain me" til kingdom come ;)

Danny, I like your thinking here...will muse on that some. It would also give me somewhere to "go" if I tried the "fold up" approach for a year and didnt like it...could cut the pipe down and order an extra set of ends...! Thanks for the idea!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.