Pool Solar Cover - Does moisture in 50% of the bubbles mean it's not doing its job anymore or should I keep it for another season?

Slippery

Jul 15, 2018
Portland or
End of season wrap up for the 15 ft blue bubble solar blanket on the above ground intex. Not sure If I should toss and get a new one for next season. I'd say about half of the bubbles are showing moisture inside. What percentage of peak insulating do you think has been lost?

If it's time to get a new one do you think spending extra money for the more expensive ones are worth it? Upgrades seem to be 12mil clear versions.

"Technically, all you really need for a pool cover is a large sheet of plastic. Plastic meets the requirement of being a vapor barrier."
Swimming Pool Covers

When the bubbles start breaking, it means that you should be prepared to replace the cover. I have gone a whole season with a solar cover where the bubbles were breaking at the beginning of the season. When you start pulling on the cover and it starts ripping easily, then for sure it is ready to replace. I push my cover to the limit since it usually only takes a few days to get a new one, even under these pandemic shortages.

Watch out for algae hiding in the broken bubbles. I once had an issue with yellow algae and eventually figured out it came back with solar cover use (mine was past its prime). New cover - problem fixed!

I'd say toss it. The little pieces are going to start coming off in the pool and it will be an annoying mess. Not worth the hassle of cleaning and storing for winter. Generally it is not worth paying more for the thicker ones. They all seem to last 2-3 seasons and the thicker ones are much harder to handle and that's about the only difference.

Reactions: derekm
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.