Pool slides, recommendations?

lafonte98

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2016
Collinsville, IL
Hello,

This spring/summer I am looking to add a slide to my pool. The company that has been recommended to purchase the slide from is SR SMITH. Has anyone dealt with them before, pros/cons? I have 3 and 5 y/o girls that will be using the slide so it was recommended that I get the ones with enclosed stairs. I also want it to be fun for adults though :). I am looking at the Turbo Twister, the link to it is below, along with another one (Typhoon) that peaks my interest. I know the Turbo Twister is kind of high for small children but I really do not want to have to buy a smaller one to then replace down the road. The pool shop suggested that you can buy foam mats to place underneath the stairs or around the slide in case someone we to fall it would at least soften the blow. Has anyone ever placed mats below their slide? If so, we they just a slip hazard and not worth it or do they make something for this?

TurboTwister Pool Slide | Official S.R. Smith Products 8ft 7 inches high

Typhoon Pool Slide | Official S.R.Smith Products 7ft 4 inches high

Thanks in advance,

Greg Gammon

Reactions: Love2Fly
I've seen TurboTwister's in use at commercial pools. They are a solid product and fun for adults. S.R. Smith makes quality products. No experience with the Typhoon model.

Reactions: lafonte98
I have a Turbo Twister and have to say over the past 5 years I ( nor the 2 granddaughters ) have ever regretted the purchase! youngest granddaughter was pretty young when she went down it for the first time no one
( child or adult ) has ever went over the side I think she may have bonked her head once on the side rim as she came down but I only remember that happening once. Its funny when we first started using it 2 people got abrasions on the outer part of elbow area from rubbing up against the side of the slide coming down but that also has not happened again in a long long time.

Attachments

• IMG_0248 (1).jpg
    IMG_0248 (1).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I have a Turbo Twister and have to say over the past 5 years I ( nor the 2 granddaughters ) have ever regretted the purchase! youngest granddaughter was pretty young when she went down it for the first time no one
( child or adult ) has ever went over the side I think she may have bonked her head once on the side rim as she came down but I only remember that happening once. Its funny when we first started using it 2 people got abrasions on the outer part of elbow area from rubbing up against the side of the slide coming down but that also has not happened again in a long long time.

Caligrl2,

Thanks for the response on this! The turbo twister is one of our top candidates so it is good to know you and your family enjoy it.

Thanks again,

Greg

Are yo
Well - I am familiar with both of those units;
I am also a killjoy, sorry.

As a parent & a contractor slides pose quite a danger. A seven foot fall onto a masonry patio is not any one to get up from.
Are you friends with my wonderful pool contractor? Haha He keeps telling me the same thing about a slide! Our pool is on year 4 and my grandkids really want a slide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well - I am familiar with both of those units;
I am also a killjoy, sorry.

As a parent & a contractor slides pose quite a danger. A seven foot fall onto a masonry patio is not any one to get up from.

The pool shop recommended putting down some kind of rubber matting below the stairs and along the side of the slide (other clients of theirs said they did this). If someone were to fall that would hopefully soften the below. I am a little skeptical of this, assuming it would also bring on a slipping hazard when walking to get on the stairs. A fall from that height even on rubber matting is a concern of mine. Thanks for the reply.

1000's of ways to get hurt or even killed. Bicycles, swings, the list goes on forever. Adult supervision required. And kids that learn to obey. If your child or grandchild is one of the holy terrors that refuses to obey or you are afraid to discipline them...don't get a slide. Probably should not have a pool either if that is the case.

Hello,

This spring/summer I am looking to add a slide to my pool. The company that has been recommended to purchase the slide from is SR SMITH. Has anyone dealt with them before, pros/cons? I have 3 and 5 y/o girls that will be using the slide so it was recommended that I get the ones with enclosed stairs. I also want it to be fun for adults though :). I am looking at the Turbo Twister, the link to it is below, along with another one (Typhoon) that peaks my interest. I know the Turbo Twister is kind of high for small children but I really do not want to have to buy a smaller one to then replace down the road. The pool shop suggested that you can buy foam mats to place underneath the stairs or around the slide in case someone we to fall it would at least soften the blow. Has anyone ever placed mats below their slide? If so, we they just a slip hazard and not worth it or do they make something for this?

TurboTwister Pool Slide | Official S.R. Smith Products 8ft 7 inches high

Typhoon Pool Slide | Official S.R.Smith Products 7ft 4 inches high

Thanks in advance,

Greg Gammon
what did you decide on? I went with the typhoon and just had a party with 20 9yo kids who loved it. I do plan on building a platform/landing approx. 4' high that would surround the steps for some added safety. My slide and proposed platform build are attached... I figured I could put some thatching on it and make it look more tropical fun, less safety platform.

Attachments

• IMG_6388.jpg
    IMG_6388.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Annotation 2019-06-10 133835.png
    Annotation 2019-06-10 133835.png
    77 KB · Views: 174
what did you decide on? I went with the typhoon and just had a party with 20 9yo kids who loved it. I do plan on building a platform/landing approx. 4' high that would surround the steps for some added safety. My slide and proposed platform build are attached... I figured I could put some thatching on it and make it look more tropical fun, less safety platform.

Hello,

I went with the Turbo Twister but it has not came in at this time. Kids are so pumped! Looking forward to watching them wear themselves out on it. :) Your platform build looks pretty darn cool! It will definitely add some safety to the slide. Glad to hear that all the kids enjoyed themselves.

Nice! Not planning a little gathering today are you?

Is this question specific to you? ? ? ?

My diving board saved me money. They cancelled me and when I changed coverage it was lower premiums for higher limits. Very high limits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.