Pool slide rehab - leg surface mount, or replace the inserts?

FoodMagnet

Apr 17, 2022
Hood River, OR
Inherited the pool, handy homeowner, not a pro. Slide 25+yrs old and itself is in good shape. YT has some good vid on the fiberglass restoration. Ladder fine, support legs all need to be replaced. Legs currently embedded in concrete/grout, likely after several resurfacing/repairs. I am not expecting to be able to re-use the existing inserts.
The easy solution would be surface mounts over the existing holes, but I will know.
Q: If I am going to do concrete work anyway, surface mounts more versatile/safe or replace the inserts for a clean look?

Post pics so we can see your situation and the areas you are asking about.

Journey continues. Decided against surface mount, will embed new escutcheons in concrete. Step 1 is to get the slide out for refinishing, built a form to make replicate the setup. With the slide off, the existing legs are just thin-wall aluminum, and no wonder why wobbly.

Do yourself a favor and rent the best coring saw you can find. I did 8 6" cores in 5hrs, even got the 1/2 day rate. Hardest part is fishing out the cut core from below, be ready for steel. Dealing with the concrete dust a close second. While I had the tool, decided to repair 4 legacy ladder escutcheons that just look bad on the deck.

slide_3.jpgslide_2.jpgslide_1.jpg

In taking down your slide, you will encounter a lot of corrosion and stuck bolts. PBblaster + some heat usually works. But the hand railings, where they connect on the top looked to have used untreated steel so they were fused into the aluminum inserts. I could get a wrench on them, but with pressure they just deformed. Tried cutting flush and drilling them out for a re-tap but the steel was too hard for my amateur setup. The awkwardness of the railing just added to the problem.
Originally thought they were press-fit but a machinist friend suggested they were epoxied, which broke free with some heat and a 90 degree vice grip hammered down to break it free. I was able to get out without damaging the railing. Off to the machine shop to have them replicated, hopefully not too much $$

Attachments

• railing_bolt.jpg
    railing_bolt.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 6
  • slide_bolt_1.jpg
    slide_bolt_1.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 4
  • railing_insert.png
    railing_insert.png
    861.6 KB · Views: 6
  • insert_dimension.png
    insert_dimension.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.