Pool Skimmer Question

JTAG

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Babcock Ranch Florida
Why is there 2 holes in the bottom of my skimmer under the skimmer basket? One hole obviously goes back to the pump. Im asking because when I felt in the other hole there was a lot of rock and sand in it like it was plugged. I used suction to clear that hole and it is open now. Im worried that there was suppose to be a plug in that second hole and now I sucked it out. Found nothing but stones in pump basket. The pool is a fairly new build and we just moved in. Thanks for the help

J,

In the old days, most pools had their main drain connected to the 2nd hole. Normally the hole next to the water went to the main drain and the other hole when back to the pump at the equipment pad. Most newer pools have both the main drain and the skimmer going back to the equipment pad.

The "extra" hole should be plugged from either the bottom or the top.

It can't be open, as the water would just drain out of the skimmer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

J,

Worst case, the pool will drain down to just below the skimmer. An open pipe into the ground, will just let water pass through it and into the ground. Depending on the type of dirt you have this could take hours..

Is this a new pool or a very old pool? How many pipes come up and then go into your pump?

Show us a pic of your equipment pad..

Thanks,

Jim R.

J,

Thanks for the pic.. It is pretty clear that your main drain is plumbed back to your pad..

Do you by chance have a eyeball about a foot below your skimmer? I have those, and they are called equalizer ports.. In theory, if the water drops below the skimmer mouth, they will provide water to the pump to keep it from running dry.

If you don't have an equalizer port, then the second hole is most likely plugged at the bottom of the skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have the second hole too. It's plugged at the factory you did not open it up. Mine is also filled with stone and rock from the pool build.

I've got the same setup here, just moved in a month ago and it had me scratching my head. Floor drains run back to the pad, but instead of plugging the second skimmer ports with a cap they're filled with sand and gravel. I do not have equalizer ports.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got the same setup here, just moved in a month ago and it had me scratching my head. Floor drains run back to the pad, but instead of plugging the second skimmer ports with a cap they're filled with sand and gravel. I do not have equalizer ports.

They aren't filled on purpose; it's just sloppy builders!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.