Pool size ?

dmlk

Jun 28, 2020
Ohio
We ordered a 15.5 x 35 size pool, rectangular shape. Its a fiberglass since we want to do saltwater. I'm having some reservations this pool could be too large? Is it about average? We live on 2 acres and have 4 kids so thought it was a medium size. Thoughts? Thanks!

We ordered a 15.5 x 35 size pool, rectangular shape. Its a fiberglass since we want to do saltwater. I'm having some reservations this pool could be too large? Is it about average? We live on 2 acres and have 4 kids so thought it was a medium size. Thoughts? Thanks!

That comes out to about 543 sqft. Not sure about Ohio, but in Texas the PBs we talked to said their average size was 450-500 sqft. Just for a reference point.

Reactions: dmlk
I'm just looking at stakes in the yard now and some piles of dirts and hoping we made the right decision with the pool size. I'm sure we did but just wanted to see what the average size was:)

Reactions: Msch99
I think it all boils down to the available space, your intended use for the pool, decking and surrounding area, etc. We just installed a 14’x30’ fiberglass pool an I’d say it is on the smaller end of the medium size for a pool. I doesn’t feel too small for us, and it fills the available space. We would have went larger if we had more space, but this worked out just right for our use.

I also think it’s possible to confuse small - medium - large size with average size. The average pool size in my area varies, with more large pools on my particular street, whereas my pool is medium size. So my pool might be below average size for my street, but a street away the average pool is of the small size, so my pool is above average compared to that street!

So I would do what you’re doing, stake it out and lay down some rope or paint on the ground to sketch it out. Then stake out your decking and other items and see how it all feels. For fiberglass, remember that the measurement from the factory is for the outside edge of the pool shell, so the actual pool will be about 4”-6” less both width & length.

Also, for what it is worth, at least in my area, fiberglass isn’t required for salt water. Many folks in my area have concrete pools and salt water chlorine generators.

We really debated the 15 x 30 size and ultimately decided to go with 15 x 35 since we had the room for extra 5 ft. Staked out right now looks huge!
We actually had a pool (Fiberglass) in our last home. We bought the home with it and did not install it, it was also salt water so we are use to that. That pool was a kidney shape so we knew we wanted a tad bigger and rectangular. Thanks for your input. I'll post pictures of the build!

Reactions: Msch99
Hi dmlk! I am also in Ohio. We have the same size that you are getting and we love it! I’d say the “average” pool in my area is a 20x40 foot vinyl pool, so ours is slightly smaller than many we know. However, we love it. Our builder originally suggest the 15x30 for us, but I’m thankful we went to the 35’. We have friends that had room and installed a 15x40, and they are happy with that choice. I would have gone to 40’ but the 35’ looked better in our design. Also, I agree that it looked huge when we had it staked in the yard!

Thanks so much! I'm so glad to hear we have the same size and you love it. Its such a big decision without knowing if you made the right choice. Now I'm getting super excited. They dig next week:)

Go big baby!!! We are at 923 sq. ft for the pool and 100 sq. ft for our spa. I might have went too big, but hmm, we will see when it's in! I have 7 brothers in the area and well, wanted a pool big enough to accommodate the family!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.